Sanskrit, Tamil, Oriya - MPs take oath in many languagesJune 1st, 2009 - 1:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 1 (IANS) The 15th Lok Sabha saw many of the newly-elected MPs take oath Monday in their mother tongue or languages of their choice, with Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Sumitra Mahajan leading the way by doing so in Sanskrit.
She was followed by Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) MP Basudev Acharya taking oath in Bengali and Arjun Sethi of the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) in his Oriya. Home Minister P. Chidambaram, who is Congress MP from Sivaganga, followed suit in Tamil, while B.K. Handique, also of the Congress, spoke in Assamese.
Dayanidhi Maran, A. Raja and M.K. Azhagiri, both of the DMK, also took oath in Tamil. Mallikarjun Kharge did so in Kannada and Pawan Kumar Bansal in Punjabi.
- 15th Lok Sabha starts, PM hopes for 'new beginning' (Afternoon Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- First day, First Show: House full! - Jun 01, 2009
- Something old, something new in recast Team Manmohan (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Ahead of reshuffle, Deora offers to quit - Jul 05, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle: The seven who are out - Jul 12, 2011
- Sonia meets PM over cabinet reshuffle (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Manmohan allocates work to all ministers, wants benchmarks set (Second Lead) - May 29, 2009
- Congress takes charge of most economic ministries, DMK's Raja gets IT (Lead) - May 29, 2009
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Team Manmohan ready for governance (Second Lead) - May 28, 2009
- The new council of ministers after Wednesday's reshuffle - Jan 19, 2011
- Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu get five cabinet berths; Uttar Pradesh nil - May 27, 2009
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday, Big 4 to continue (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Khursheed gets law, Trivedi railways in reshuffle - Jul 12, 2011
- Unparliamentary words in parliament stall proceedings (Parliament Roundup) - May 05, 2010
Tags: acharya, bansal, bengali, bharatiya janata party, biju, bjd, bjp, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, dayanidhi maran, dmk, home minister, kannada, leading the way, Lok Sabha, mother tongue, oriya, p chidambaram, sethi, sumitra