Sanjay’s electoral prospects were bright, says Hema MaliniApril 1st, 2009 - 2:29 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, April 1 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP and veteran actress Hema Malini Wednesday expressed “disappointment” that Sanjay Dutt had been denied permission to contest polls by the Supreme Court and said she could not pursue politics “full time” but left the field open for her daughter Esha to do so.
“We are disappointed,” the BJP’s star campaigner told reporters about the Supreme Court refusing to permit Dutt, convicted for being in the possession of illegal weapons in the run-up to the 1993 Mumbai bombings, to contest the Lucknow polls as the Samajwadi Party’s candidate.
“Sanjay is a good man like his father. His prospect was bright… His past record came in the way.”
The Rajya Sabha MP said husband Dharmendra, who was a BJP MP in the last Lok Sabha, was not contesting the parliamentary elections either because he was not very interested in politics.
“Dharamji does not have so much interest in politics. He is a good film actor. As far as I am concerned, I have other assignments which I have to fulfill. I do any work with full devotion and I think I cannot devote full time to politics,” the actor-danseuse told reporters here.
However, daughter Esha, also an actor, was interested.
“Esha has interest in politics. I am here to campaign because Esha allowed me.”
“Esha can join politics in future. Today’s youth shy away from joining politics. There is need to promote youth to join politics,” she added.
But Ranchi’s home grown cricket idol Mahendra Singh Dhoni should be left alone to pursue the sport.
“Dhoni is a good cricketer and let him concentrate on cricket. Please do not drag him into politics,” Hema Malini said, predicting “good prospects” for the BJP in this election.
- Hema Malini disappointed over SC decision against Sanjay Dutt - Apr 01, 2009
- Dharamji's honour was long due: Hema Malini - Jan 25, 2012
- BJP shall form next government in Assam: Nitin Gadkari - Mar 23, 2011
- I had a superb time directing Dharamji: Hema Malini (Interview) - Dec 28, 2010
- Stars to add sparkle to Assam polls - Dec 30, 2010
- I miss classical dance in today's films: Hema Malini (Interview) - Oct 21, 2011
- Writer versus 'dream girl' in Karnataka Rajya Sabha poll - Mar 02, 2011
- Esha Deol, Bharat Takhtani tie the knot - Jun 29, 2012
- Esha Deol, Bharat Takhtani tie the knot (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Hemaji is an 'Iron Woman': Arjan Bajwa - Jun 17, 2011
- Hema Malini files nomination as BJP candidate from Karnataka - Feb 21, 2011
- Dharmendra wanted to keep Esha away from showbiz (Movie Snippets) - Oct 28, 2011
- It's natural for Sanjay to join politics: Hema Malini - Feb 19, 2009
- Ahana is now open to acting: Hema Malini - Jun 23, 2011
- I'm my father's son, Sanjay Dutt tells Lucknow (Roundup) - Feb 18, 2009
Tags: 1993 mumbai bombings, actress hema malini, campaigner, cricketer, danseuse, dharmendra, electoral prospects, film actor, good man, hema malini, illegal weapons, interest in politics, Lok Sabha, mahendra singh dhoni, parliamentary elections, rajya sabha, ranchi, Samajwadi Party, sanjay dutt, veteran actress