‘Sanjay Dutt not rattled by court verdict’April 1st, 2009 - 12:40 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, April 1 (IANS) The Supreme Court verdict barring Sanjay Dutt from contesting elections has dampened the spirit of his supporters, but the Bollywood star is undeterred and says he isn’t “rattled” by it.
“I’ve seen too much in life to be rattled by this latest setback,” Sanjay Dutt told a friend Tuesday after the Supreme Court vetoed the actor’s desire to contest the Lok Sabha elections.
The Supreme Court refused to suspend Sanjay’s conviction for owning illegal arms in the run up to the 1993 serial bombings in Mumbai.
“It’s very important for Sanjay to prove himself in politics, not only to clear his name and exonerate himself of his past records, but also because he wants to carry forward his parents’ legacy as people of the masses ahead, as much as his sister Priya. What hurt Sanjay was that some people close to him questioned his right to enter politics and sniggered at his capability to be a politician,” a close friend told IANS.
The Samajwadi Party had named Sanjay as its candidate for the Lucknow Lok Sabha seat, represented in the outgoing parliament by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Dutt has been campaigning in Lucknow.
Wife Maanyata wasn’t with Sanjay at the time of the verdict Tuesday. She is tipped to replace him as the Samajwadi Party candidate.
“I’m a fighter. Life has made me so. I’ll remain that way until the last moment. If I’m told I can’t fight elections, that’s still fine. I’ll continue to work with Amar Singhji,” Sanjay told a close friend after the verdict.
Sanjay has decided to stay in Lucknow until the polls and to continue working with Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh.
“And even after the elections, Sanjay will be working with Amar Singhji. Whether he fights elections or not, Sanjay is into politics for good,” the friend said.
- Sanjay Dutt Gets Candid, Talks About Amar Singh, Wife Maanyata And Sisters - Jun 28, 2010
- I will never return to politics: Sanjay Dutt - Jul 26, 2011
- Sanjay Dutt says Congress minister threatened him (Lead) - Apr 01, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt puts his B'day on hold for Amar Singh - Jul 23, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt signs on new role - Samajwadi Party general secretary (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2009
- Amar Singh to launch new party - Nov 16, 2010
- Lucknow will remain my home: Sanjay Dutt - Mar 31, 2009
- Munnabhai banned from Lok Sabha Elections - Mar 31, 2009
- Samajwadi Party names Sanjay Dutt its new general secretary (Lead) - Apr 02, 2009
- I would like to finish my Rajya Sabha term: Jaya Bachchan - Feb 03, 2010
- Sanjay, Maanyata become proud parents of twins - Oct 21, 2010
- (After 1) Amar Singh: left to fighting for lost causes? - Dec 29, 2010
- Samajwadi Party expels Amar Singh, Jaya Prada - Feb 02, 2010
- Sanjay Dutt also quits as Samajwadi Party general secretary (Second Lead) - Jan 10, 2010
- Sanjay joining us shouldn't disappoint Priya: Amar Singh (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2009
Tags: april 1, bollywood star, bombings in mumbai, capability, conviction, former prime minister, illegal arms, last moment, latest setback, lok sabha elections, lucknow, parliament, party candidate, party leader, politician, priya, Samajwadi Party, sanjay dutt, subhash k jha, supreme court verdict