‘Sangma’s resignation act of frustration’June 21st, 2012 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, June 21 (IANS) Meghalaya Chief Minister and Congress leader Mukul Manda Sangma Thursday termed the resignation of presidential candidate and former Lok Sabha speaker Purno Sangma from his Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) as “an act of frustration”.
“It’s a complete reflection of his frustration because he has failed in state (Meghalaya) politics. He has failed as a legislator and, therefore, it is reflected by his action,” the chief minister told journalists.
Sangma, who has been fielded as a presidential candidate by AIADMK chief J. Jayalalithaa and Biju Janata Dal chief Naveen Patnaik, quit the NCP Wednesday after his party mounted pressure on him to dropout of the presidential race in favour of United Progressive Alliance (UPA) nominee Pranab Mukherjee.
Asked if he would extend support to the former speaker, who is from the same tribe as him in Meghalaya, Mukul Sangma ruled it out and took a swipe at him for his “lack of achievement”.
“With such a long innings in politics, with so much of privileges and having been in power where he (Purno Sangma) had held such positions, he could have done so much and make a difference in the lives of the people particularly the people in whose name (tribals) he is claiming that he is a candidate,” he said.
“Forget about the whole country. Look at his own constituency, the whole Garo Hills region is in such a mess and the government is trying to address it now. Forget about the whole Garo Hills… go to his village and his wife’s village and try to find out what exactly he has contributed.”
- Determined to contest, Sangma quits NCP (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- In Meghalaya, Sangma's chances are the talking point (With Images) (Meghalaya Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Tribal Forum of India to float new party: Sangma - Jul 31, 2012
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Sangma's political party gets new avatar - Aug 24, 2012
- Not returning to Congress, says Sangma - Feb 11, 2011
- NCP demands Meghalaya CM's resignation - May 04, 2012
- Sharad Pawar dissolves Meghalaya NCP unit - Aug 25, 2012
- Meghalaya CM urges coalition partners not to support Sangma - Jul 06, 2012
- Sangma set to float new party - Jul 30, 2012
- Sangma fails to get Mamata's support (Second Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- I have quit NCP, says Sangma - Jun 20, 2012
- NCP moots alliance to take on Sangma's NPP - Aug 28, 2012
- Syndicate could turn tables on Pranab: Sangma (Interview) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sangma second tribal from Meghalaya to lose presidential poll - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: biju, chief minister, congress leader, constituency, garo hills, j jayalalithaa, janata, legislator, Lok Sabha, meghalaya, mukul, nationalist congress party, naveen, ncp, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential race, progressive alliance, purno, shillong