Sangma’s daughter skips NCP meetJune 21st, 2012 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) Central minister Agatha Sangma, daughter of former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma who quit the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) to contest the presidential poll, did not attend the party’s parliamentary board meeting here Thursday.
“Agatha did not attend the meeting… she intimated me shortly before the meeting that she won’t be able to come due to some unavoidable reasons,” NCP general secretary D.P. Tripathi told reporters after the meet.
Agatha is union minister of state for rural development.
Tripathi denied rumours that the NCP may take some disciplinary action against Agatha, as her father has been campaigning for presidency from her official residence here, saying she has not violated party discipline.
“She is a party MP and our representative in the union cabinet… she has not violated any party discipline,” he said.
Tripathi said NCP chief Sharad Pawar had urged Agatha around 10 days ago to refrain from campaigning for her father and she was following the advice.
“She has not said anything after that,” said Tripathi adding that it would be against basic courtesy to ask the daughter not to let her father stay in her official residence.
Earlier, the NCP said Sangma is a candidate of the communal parties after the Bharatiya Janata Party announced support for him.
AIADMK chief J Jayalalithha and BJD chief Naveen Patnaik have already backed Sangma’s candidature for the July 19 presidential poll.
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Pawar unlikely to attend PM's dinner for president - Jul 23, 2012
- Will accept Sangma's resignation:, says Pawar (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Agatha will go by UPA's presidential candidate: Sangma - May 26, 2012
- Agatha Sangma skips third event in 10 days to avoid media - Jun 30, 2012
- Sangma dodges questions on daughter's vote in presidential polls - Jul 10, 2012
- Presidential contest: NDA, Left divided over Pranab; BJP backs Sangma (Roundup) - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma will support Pranab: NCP - Jun 19, 2012
- Syndicate could turn tables on Pranab: Sangma (Interview) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sangma pushes himself for president - May 22, 2012
- Sonia to host lunch for UPA, supporting parties before presidential poll - Jul 13, 2012
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- NCP cautions Sangma, says he will withdraw (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
Tags: agatha, bharatiya janata party, board meeting, candidature, disciplinary action, general secretary, Lok Sabha, minister of state, nationalist congress party, naveen patnaik, New Delhi, party discipline, presidency, presidential poll, rural development, sharad pawar, tripathi, unavoidable reasons, union cabinet, union minister