Sangma to decide Thursday on petition against MukherjeeJuly 5th, 2012 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 5 (IANS) Opposition presidential candidate P.A. Sangma said Thursday that a final decision on filing a formal complaint against the approval of Pranab Mukherjee’s nomination would be taken after legal experts studied the order.
The certified order from the returning officer rejecting their application against Mukherjee, the ruling United Progressive Alliance presidential candidate, came late Wednesday, Sangma told reporters.
“The legal committee will study the order, after which the election campaign committee will meet and decide at 4.30 p.m. today,” Sangma, who is being backed by the Bharatiya Janata Party, AIADMK and Biju Janata Dal, said, refusing to answer any more questions.
Sangma’s team had Monday demanded that Mukherjee’s nomination be rejected. It alleged that Mukherjee was holding an office of profit as chairman of the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) when he filed his nomination June 28.
Mukherjee, however, produced his resignation letter dated June 20 with acceptance from the ISI. Subsequently, Sangma’s request was rejected and Mukherjee’s nomination accepted by the returning officer.
The BJP alleged Tuesday that the signatures of Mukherjee on two documents submitted were different. Mukherjee refuted the charge.
BJP sources say Sangma’s team is mulling an election petition, a plea filed by any contestant if they feel malpractice has been involved. The petition is heard by the high court of the state after the election.
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Team Sangma gives poll panel proof against Mukherjee - Jul 09, 2012
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Team Sangma to approach poll panel against Pranab's nomination (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sangma gives proof against Mukherjee, centre debunks it (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Team will move SC if Sangma loses presidential poll - Jul 11, 2012
- Sangma's team keeps option of moving apex court open - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab's letter quitting Kolkata institute fabricated: BJP (Lead) (With Images) - Jul 03, 2012
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Team Sangma may go to court against Pranab's nomination - Jul 05, 2012
- Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab order (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Pranab's letter quitting Kolkata institute is forged: BJP - Jul 03, 2012
- Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab order - Jul 05, 2012
- Cancel Pranab's candidature, says Sangma; ISI says Mukherjee quit June 20 (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, bharatiya janata party, biju, bjp, campaign committee, election campaign, election petition, final decision, formal complaint, indian statistical institute, isi, legal committee, legal experts, letter dated june, nomination, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, progressive alliance, resignation letter, returning officer