Sangma seeks Advani’s help in MeghalayaMarch 20th, 2009 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader P.A. Sangma Friday met Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani here to “seek his help” and brief him about the situation in Meghalaya, which is under president’s rule.
“I met Advaniji and briefed him about the situation in Meghalaya. We seek the BJP’s help in different northeastern states,” Sangma told reporters, without elaborating on what sort of help the NCP wants from Advani.
Sangma has been enraged by the central government’s decision Wednesday to impose president’s rule in Meghalaya. The NCP, which headed the state’s Meghalaya Progressive Alliance (MPA) government, is a member of the UPA that is ruling at the centre.
“It is not a question of NDA (National Democratic Alliance) or UPA (United Progressive Alliance), it is about the people of Meghalaya and every citizen should support the cause,” the former Lok Sabha speaker said.
“The decision to impose president’s rule is unprecedented and unconstitutional. After the MPA government won the trust vote on the floor of the house, there was no constitutional crisis and hence the decision is very sad,” Sangma had said after the centre’s decision.
- BJP accuses UPA of double standards - Mar 20, 2009
- Meghalaya CM urges coalition partners not to support Sangma - Jul 06, 2012
- Sangma meets Advani, seeks support for presidential poll - Jun 08, 2012
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma files nomination, says it's victory of tribal unity (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- NDA to decide presidential nominee Sunday - Jun 16, 2012
- Will accept Sangma's resignation:, says Pawar (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- In Meghalaya, Sangma's chances are the talking point (With Images) (Meghalaya Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Will decide on Sangma after consultations: Advani - Jun 15, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Sharad Pawar dissolves Meghalaya NCP unit - Aug 25, 2012
- Agatha will go by UPA's presidential candidate: Sangma - May 26, 2012
- BJP to campaign for Sangma - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: bjp, central government, citizen, constitutional crisis, janata party, l k advani, Lok Sabha, meghalaya, national democratic alliance, nationalist congress party, ncp, nda, New Delhi, northeastern states, prime ministerial candidate, progressive alliance, trust vote, UPA