Sangma confident of Mamata’s supportJune 22nd, 2012 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) Former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma Friday expressed confidence in getting the support of the Trinamool Congress for the presidential election and is banking upon a “conscience vote”.
“I am constantly in touch with her. I am going to meet her in the next couple of days. I am very much hopeful of her support,” Sangma told news channel CNN-IBN.
Even as the numbers favour United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee, Sangma said: “The election is governed by Article 55 and the Article 55 is clear that the election shall be by a secret ballot. The question of numbers does not arise at all at this stage.”
“Secret ballot means conscience vote. I depend on the conscience vote and I believe in the conscience vote,”he said.
On division among UPA and Left front, Sangma said: “There is a split in almost all political parties. That shows this election is a serious election. It’s not as smooth as the Congress is claiming it to be. There is a split because people are giving serious thought to it. This is a welcome development.”
“Pranab Mukherjee is also not getting an undivided UPA. Mamata Banerjee is a part of UPA and she is not supporting Pranab Mukherjee as yet.”
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday announced its support to Sangma.
Going by figures, Mukherjee gets 56.17 percent of votes of electoral college, while Sangma gets 31.7 percent.
- Sangma seeks debate with Pranab (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Congress rejects Sangma appeal for debate with Mukherjee (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Sangma appeals to NDA allies for support (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Presidential poll: Sangma hopeful of win, Trinamool support - Jul 15, 2012
- No regrets on not becoming PM, says Pranab - Jun 29, 2012
- In Meghalaya, Sangma's chances are the talking point (With Images) (Meghalaya Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Presidential poll: Numbers favour Pranab - Jun 21, 2012
- Presidential contest: NDA, Left divided over Pranab; BJP backs Sangma (Roundup) - Jun 21, 2012
- Pranab will out-do Sangma in northeast: Congress - Jul 19, 2012
- Mulayam almost voted for Sangma - Jul 19, 2012
- I will be India's next president: Purno Sangma (Interview) - Jul 02, 2012
- Became a presidential candidate incidentally, says Sangma - May 26, 2012
- Mulayam tears ballot, Sangma team demands cancellation of vote (lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sangma's tribal card draws bouquets, brickbats in Meghalaya - Jul 22, 2012
- Syndicate could turn tables on Pranab: Sangma (Interview) - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: banerjee, bharatiya janata party, bjp, cnn, cnn ibn, confidence, conscience vote, couple of days, electoral college, favour, Lok Sabha, New Delhi, political parties, pranab mukherjee, presidential election, progressive alliance, secret ballot, trinamool congress, UPA, welcome development