Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek supportJuly 15th, 2012 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 15 (IANS) Presidential candidate Purno Sangma arrived in Odisha Sunday to seek support for the July 19 poll.
Chief whip of the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) Rabi Narayan Pani and deputy chief whip Arun Sahu were among the senior leaders who welcomed Sangma, a former Lok Sabha speaker, at the Biju Patnaik airport here.
Although the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is backing Sangma, its leaders were not seen at the reception.
Sangma went straight to the official residence of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik from the airport.
The BJD has 108 members in the state’s 147-member assembly. It has 14 members in the Lok Sabha and seven in Rajya Sabha.
Patnaik announced his party’s support for Sangma in May and was also the first to sign as a proposer on his nomination papers.
United Progressive Alliance presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee had campaigned in the state July 11.
- People taking interest in presidential poll: Sangma (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik is Sangma's proposer for president's poll (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- Presidential election: Sangma's son meets Patnaik - Jun 26, 2012
- BJD backs Sangma for president - May 17, 2012
- Pranab hopeful of Mamata's support (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Congress, BJD trade charges over presidential election - Jul 01, 2012
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- Pranab to campaign in Odisha July 11 - Jul 01, 2012
- Patnaik accuses Pranab of buying support - Jul 02, 2012
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency - Jun 16, 2012
- A tribal should occupy Raisina Hill: Naveen Patnaik - Jun 21, 2012
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,