Samajwadi Party workers clash with police during protestSeptember 16th, 2011 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 16 (IANS) Hundreds of Samajwadi Party (SP) activists clashed with police here in Uttar Pradesh Friday while protesting the hike in petrol prices, an official said.
Shouting slogans against the central government, SP activists took to the streets and converged in front of the state assembly, throwing the traffic out of gear in the busy Hazratganj locality.
“The repeated increase in the petrol prices indicates that the Congress-led central government doesn’t care about the `aam aadmi’ (common man),” said SP spokesperson in the state Rajendra Chaudhary.
Police had to use water cannons to disperse the protesters that also included the party’s women activists.
“It’s not the case of petrol only, the United Progressive Alliance has miserably failed to contain prices of other commodities too. The government has not done anything substantial that could provide relief to the public from the ever-rising inflation,” added Chaudhary.
The Bharatiya Janata Party also staged demonstrations in parts of this state capital.
Petrol prices were hiked Thursday, for the 10th time since June 2010, by Rs.3.14 a litre effective from Friday.
- BJP, SP protest fuel price hike in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 25, 2011
- Thackeray slams petrol price hike - May 25, 2012
- Opposition calls all-India shutdown July 5 (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Rollback hike in petrol prices: Dhumal - Sep 16, 2011
- Protests in Kerala over petrol price rise - Sep 16, 2011
- BJP protests petrol price hike in Delhi - Jan 18, 2011
- BJP protests petrol price hike, demands rollback - Sep 16, 2011
- Buses stoned in Thiruvananthapuram shutdown - Sep 17, 2011
- Not consulted on petrol price hike, fumes Trinamool - Sep 15, 2011
- SP workers clash with cops, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- Allies, opposition target government over petrol price rise - Sep 16, 2011
- Tripura's Left government protests petrol price hike - Sep 16, 2011
- Petrol price hike to hit common man: Yechury - May 25, 2012
- Samajwadi Party to join July 5 strike on fuel price hike - Jun 28, 2010
- SP workers clash with police during FDI protests - Dec 01, 2011
Tags: aam, bharatiya janata party, central government, clash with police, commodities, common man, demonstrations, government doesn, inflation, litre, locality, petrol prices, progressive alliance, protesters, slogans, spokesperson, state assembly, uttar pradesh, water cannons, women activists