‘Samajwadi Party will soon name Lucknow candidate’March 31st, 2009 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 31 (IANS) The Samajwadi Party Tuesday said it would soon announce a candidate for Lucknow after the Supreme Court barred its first choice, film star Sanjay Dutt, from contesting elections.
“The decision on a new candidate to represent the SP (Samajwadi Party) from the prestigious Lucknow seat will soon be taken by the party’s parliamentary board,” party spokesperson Rajendra Chaudhary told reporters here.
The party had announced Dutt as its candidate for the Lucknow Lok Sabha seat, represented in the outgoing house by former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Asked if Dutt’s wife Manyata would be the party candidate, Chaudhary said the final call would be taken by party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, general secretary Amar Singh and senior leader Ram Gopal Yadav in consultation with the party’s parliamentary board.
The actor’s hopes to plunge into electoral politics were dashed after the apex court refused to suspend his conviction for owning illegal arms in the run-up to the 1993 serial bombings in Mumbai.
The court stated that in order to stop criminalisation of politics, the electoral laws did not allow a person convicted for a crime and sentenced to jail for over two years.
In Lucknow, the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) has fielded former central minister Akhilesh Das, while former Uttar Pradesh minister Lalji Tandon is the nominee of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav's wife to contest Kannauj by-election (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Nominations for fourth phase begin in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 25, 2012
- Akhilesh takes oath as legislative council member - May 14, 2012
- Dimple Yadav to launch second political innings Tuesday - Jun 04, 2012
- Akhilesh is candidate for Legislative Council - Apr 05, 2012
- BJP celebrates Vajpayee's birthday in Lucknow - Dec 25, 2010
- I will never return to politics: Sanjay Dutt - Jul 26, 2011
- Party leaders should be selected through merit only: Jaitley - Sep 22, 2011
- Trinamool wins first assembly seat in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 15, 2012
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi named Congress candidate from Lucknow - Apr 07, 2009
- Akhilesh Yadav to be UP chief minister (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Course correction if Mulayam wishes it: Akhilesh - Aug 01, 2012
- Lucknow will remain my home: Sanjay Dutt - Mar 31, 2009
- Dimple files nomination, plays 'bahu' card - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: amar singh, apex court, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bharatiya janata party, electoral laws, electoral politics, final call, former prime minister, illegal arms, lalji tandon, Lok Sabha, manyata, mulayam singh yadav, party chief, party spokesperson, ram gopal, sanjay dutt, uttar pradesh minister, vajpayee