Samajwadi Party urges governor to protect its legislatorNovember 1st, 2010 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 1 (IANS) A delegation of the Samajwadi Party (SP) leaders Monday met Uttar Pradesh Governor B.L. Joshi and urged him to take steps to protect party legislator Vinay Mishra, who, they alleged, could be killed at the behest of the Mayawati government, party officials said.
The delegation - including Leader of Opposition in the assembly Shivpal Yadav, party state unit president Akhilesh Yadav, and other senior SP leaders - alleged that owing to political rivalry, two ministers in the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) government are after Mishra’s life since the 2007 assembly elections.
They alleged that at the behest of the Mayawati government, the police have falsely implicated Mishra in the attack on minister Nand Gopal ‘Nandi’ and announced a reward of Rs.2.5 lakh for his capture.
“In the memorandum handed over to the governor, SP leaders stated that owing to fear of getting killed, Mishra has not even visited his home for the last several years,” party spokesperson Rajendra Chaudhary told reporters here.
“We pleaded to the governor to protect us from the harassment of the state government, which is hell bent on falsely implicating several of our leaders for political rivalry,” added Chaudhary.
- Samajwadi Party seeks CBI probe into Allahabad blast - Jul 17, 2010
- Akhilesh stakes claim to form government - Mar 10, 2012
- Akhilesh set to take over, promises a new UP (Roundup) - Mar 10, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav becomes UP's youngest chief minister (Third Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Akhilesh takes over, shunts out Mayawati loyalists (Evening Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Akhilesh is candidate for Legislative Council - Apr 05, 2012
- Evidence against Maya government's scams soon: Shivpal - Jun 02, 2012
- UP to withdraw cases slapped against farmers - Aug 22, 2012
- BSP slams Akhilesh's first month in office - Apr 20, 2012
- At 38, Akhilesh to be UP's youngest chief minister (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Mayawati planning to get Samajwadi legislator killed: Mulayam - Oct 26, 2010
- Thousands of activists detained during protests: Samajwadi Party - Mar 07, 2011
- SP activists protest against BSP, baton-charged - Mar 07, 2011
- BSP runs for cover as skeletons tumble out (News Analysis) - May 17, 2012
- After bedlam, UP assembly adjourned till Tuesday (Lead) - May 28, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, bahujan samaj party, behest, gopal, government party, joshi, lakh, last several years, leader of opposition, legislator, nand, nandi, nov 1, party officials, party spokesperson, political rivalry, rs 2, state government, uttar pradesh, vinay