Samajwadi Party to honour Abu Azmi in LucknowNovember 14th, 2009 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 14 (IANS) The Samajwadi Party (SP) will Monday honour its leader Abu Asim Azmi who was recently attacked by Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) legislators in the assembly at Mumbai for taking his oath in Hindi and not Marathi.
SP — led by Mulayam Singh Yadav — Saturday resolved to honour Azmi, the recently elected party legislator from Maharashtra.
“Azmi upheld the prestige of the national language in the anti-Hindi environment prevailing in Maharashtra,” party spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary said here.
“It was a brave decision taken by Abu Azmi, who stood by the party’s stand on the national language, despite the threat and intimidation by the MNS anti-socials,” he told IANS.
“SP president Mulayam Singh Yadav has decided to felicitate Azmi at the party’s Uttar Pradesh headquarters here on Nov 16,” he said.
Azmi was assaulted by MNS members on the floor of Maharashtra assembly earlier this week after he defied MNS supremo Raj Thackeray’s diktat to take oath in the Vidhan Sabha only in Marathi.
The newly elected SP legislator chose to take oath in Hindi on the plea that he had the right to read out his oath in the national language.
Apart from Mulayam Singh Yadav, other senior leaders of SP would be present at the felicitation ceremony.
Terming MNS as a “divisive force”, Chaudhary said: “I also wish to tell Raj Thackeray that he must realise the damage he was causing to the nation’s fabric through his acts and utterances; he should have learnt his lessons from the 26/11 attack on Mumbai, when the entire nation stood together to fight back the enemy.”
“MNS ought to understand that a crisis like that can be dealt with only when the nation stands united; no state could have fought it alone,” he added.
- Am proud of Abu Azmi for defying Raj Thackeray's diktat: Mulayam - Nov 09, 2009
- I am proud of Abu Azmi for taking oath in Hindi, says Mulayam Singh - Nov 09, 2009
- Azmi attacked over Hindi oath, four MNS members suspended (Roundup) - Nov 09, 2009
- Mulayam seeks treason case against Raj Thackeray - Nov 10, 2009
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- MNS resorts to Hindi while seeking votes: Azmi - Nov 10, 2009
- Four MNS MLAs suspended for roughing-up Azmi - Nov 09, 2009
- Abu Azmi roughed up in Maharashtra Assembly for taking oath in Hindi - Nov 09, 2009
- Attack on Azmi condemned by Bihar politicians - Nov 09, 2009
- Raj Thackeray should be arrested for assault: Azmi - Nov 09, 2009
- SP leader files case against Raj Thackeray in Uttar Pradesh court - Nov 21, 2009
- Abu Azmi attacked by MNS legislators inside assembly (Lead) - Nov 09, 2009
- Attack on Azmi an assault on idea of India: Congress - Nov 09, 2009
- Raj Thackeray rubbishes allegations of vote-for-money in MLC polls - Jun 13, 2010
- MNS legislators attack Abu Azmi inside assembly (Second Lead) - Nov 09, 2009
Tags: asim, azmi, brave decision, fabric, honour, intimidation, legislator, legislators, lucknow, mns members, mulayam singh yadav, mumbai, national language, party spokesman, plea, prestige, raj thackeray, socials, utterances, vidhan sabha