Samajwadi Party names Sanjay Dutt its new general secretary (Lead)April 2nd, 2009 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 2 (IANS) Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt may be unable to contest elections but Thursday got a firm foothold in the world of politics when he became general secretary of the Samajwadi Party.
“I am very happy that party leader Mulayam Singhji and other seniors chose me to become the party’s national general secretary,” Dutt told reporters at a press conference.
“Mein dil se kam karoonga aur sach ke liye kam karoonga (I will work with my heart and for the truth).”
Dutt had been given a ticket by the Samajwadi Party to contest the Lok Sabha election from Lucknow but could not do so after the Supreme Court Tuesday refused to suspend his conviction for owning illegal arms in the run-up to the 1993 serial bombings in Mumbai.
He lashed out at the Congress for ill-treating his father, the late actor and central minister Sunil Dutt.
“My father was very unhappy when the Congress took in Sanjay Nirupam (the Shiv Sena leader in Mumbai who joined the Congress). They have now given Nirupam a ticket - the same guy who had made such derogatory remarks about Sunil Dutt sahib and the Congress when he was with the Shiv Sena. My father would have been hurt and saddened,” Dutt said.
He said when he had stood by his sister Priya Dutt, a Congress parliamentarian, it was “as a brother, not a politician”.
“At the time I was rooting for her as her brother not as a politician… times have changed.”
- Sanjay Dutt signs on new role - Samajwadi Party general secretary (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2009
- Samajwadi Party appoints Sanjay Dutt as General Secretary - Apr 02, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt is Samajwadi Party general secretary - Apr 02, 2009
- Marathi vs migrants - cops told to study leaders' speeches - Nov 04, 2011
- Sanjay Dutt caused his father great agony: Sanjay Nirupam - Apr 02, 2009
- No candidate against Priya Dutt: Samajwadi Party - Apr 03, 2009
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- I will never return to politics: Sanjay Dutt - Jul 26, 2011
- Sanjay Dutt says Congress minister threatened him (Lead) - Apr 01, 2009
- Congress lawmaker hails Sonia after taking oath - Jul 31, 2012
- Maharashtra opposition undecided on by-poll candidate - Apr 22, 2011
- Congress MP dares Uddhav, Raj to give up security - Oct 27, 2011
- Peon and fisherwoman among winners in Mumbai - Feb 18, 2012
- Konkan Congress strongman joins NCP - Jan 30, 2012
- Sanjay Dutt Gets Candid, Talks About Amar Singh, Wife Maanyata And Sisters - Jun 28, 2010
Tags: aur, bollywood star, bombings in mumbai, derogatory remarks, foothold, general secretary, illegal arms, lok sabha election, lucknow, parliamentarian, party leader, party names, priya dutt, sach, sahib, sanjay dutt, sanjay nirupam, sena leader, shiv sena, sunil dutt