Samajwadi Party hopes to tie up with Congress in MaharashtraMarch 7th, 2009 - 12:09 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 6 (IANS) The Samajwadi Party is hopeful of working out an alliance with the Congress in Maharashtra ahead of the Lok Sabha polls though they face problems in seat-sharing in Uttar Pradesh, a top Samajwadi Party leader said here Friday.
Samajwadi Party state president Abu Asim Azmi said the near-collapse of talks at the central level did not mean that the doors to forge an alliance at the regional and state levels have been closed.
“We hope to work out an alliance with Congress-Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) in Maharashtra soon so that we can tackle the opposition challenge unitedly,” Azmi told IANS here.
If the alliance works out on expected lines, the Samajwadi Party would settle for three seats. “While we shall not give up Mumbai North-West, for the other two we can settle for any seat like Bhiwandi or Malegaon,” Azmi said.
The Samajwadi Party has announced Azmi’s candidature from Mumbai North-West, but he may not be pitted against the Congress’s Priya Dutt, since the constituency contours have drastically altered following delimitation.
The party hopes that Bhiwandi and Malegaon with a significant Muslim population may support its candidates.
However, in the event of an alliance not materialising in Maharashtra, the party will field candidates in at least 20 constituencies across the state, according to Azmi.
In such a situation, the Samajwadi Party will contest all the seats in Mumbai, Thane, parts of Marathwada and north Maharashtra where it has influential pockets, city president Farooq Ghosi said.
“Apart from the 10 seats in Mumbai and Thane, we are prepared to put up candidates in places like Rigad, Malegaon, Nashik, Dhule, Aurangabad and Osmanabad,” Ghosi said.
- Birthday gift for Bal Thackeray, jolt for Congress in bypoll - Jan 23, 2010
- Samajwadi Party files complaint against Raj Thackeray - Aug 22, 2012
- Congress-NCP alliance urged to field 38 Muslims in Maharashtra - Aug 26, 2009
- Congress, NCP score well in five civic bodies' polls - Apr 16, 2012
- MNS, SP to contest all BMC seats - Jan 09, 2012
- Priya, Sanjay Dutt support opposing parties in same constituency (Lead) - Sep 25, 2009
- Samajwadi Party men protest attack on Azmi, stone buses - Nov 09, 2009
- Nominations close in Mumbai, Thane for the last phase - Apr 09, 2009
- Mumbai goes to vote in final phase April 30 - Apr 28, 2009
- Farhan Azmi being fielded for Bhivandi East bypoll - Jan 01, 2010
- Abu Azmi's son loses Bhiwandi East Assembly by-election to Shiv Sena - Jan 23, 2010
- Many big losers in Maharashtra polls - Oct 22, 2009
- Muslims seek justice from Sonia - Feb 02, 2012
- Islamic NGO gives scholarships to Hindu students - Jun 10, 2012
- Congress, NCP tie up for Maharashtra civic polls - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,