Samajwadi Party drive to ensure MPs do not cross-voteJuly 10th, 2008 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 10 (IANS) In an effort to keep all its flock together to ensure the UPA government wins a floor test in parliament, the Samajwadi Party has initiated a contact drive with its Lok Sabha members. While party general secretary Amar Singh has been assigned the task to pacify Beni Prasad Verma, Mulayam Singh Yadav is frequently calling up the discontented lot, both rebels and possible suspects.
Though the Samajwadi Party parliamentary board meeting Tuesday was attended by 29 MPs, Yadav had asserted that all its 39 MPs were united in favour of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
However, most of the absentees were loyalists who were not seen in the meeting for a variety of reasons.
They included Beni Prasad Verma, Raj Babbar and Atiq Ahmed, who have been suspended from the party. The others are Mohan Singh and Radhey Shyam Kori, who said they were unwell, as well as Reoti Raman Singh, Kirti Vardhan Singh, Afzal Ansari and Munawwar Hassan.
Of these, Ansari is in jail and Hassan joined the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) last week.
Amar Singh Tuesday said an independent MP, Baleshwar Yadav, has joined the party and would vote with the Samajwadi Party.
- Samajwadi Party to extend outside support to UPA (Second Lead) - Jul 08, 2008
- It will be Rahul vs Modi in 2014: Beni Prasad Verma - Aug 20, 2012
- Rift between MPs only pre-victory pangs: Congress - Feb 08, 2012
- Was hurt for a while at cabinet rank denial, says Verma - Jan 27, 2011
- Congress should tie up with BSP: Beni Prasad Verma - Mar 04, 2012
- Mulayam day-dreaming of becoming PM: Beni Prasad - Aug 20, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Second lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Beni Prasad Verma: Socialist with steely resolve - Jan 19, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh MPs in the dock for taking parliament allowance - Dec 02, 2011
- Verma seeks post-poll ties with BSP, Congress terms it personal view (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- SP detractors see Amar's exit as good omen for party (News Analysis) - Jan 06, 2010
- Rahul favours younger leaders in Congress - Dec 22, 2011
- To stave off poaching, Samajwadi Party MPs camp in Delhi - Jul 18, 2008
- Cash-for-votes case: BJP MP likely to be quizzed - Jul 25, 2011
Tags: absentees, afzal, amar singh, ansari, atiq, bahujan samaj party, general secretary, independent mp, kirti, kori, lok sabha members, loyalists, mohan singh, mulayam singh yadav, possible suspects, prasad, progressive alliance, raj babbar, raman singh, shyam