Samajwadi Party does a somersault, backs Pranab (Lead)June 15th, 2012 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 15 (IANS) In less than 48 hours, the Samajwadi Party Friday did a U-turn on its support to Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee as the country’s president, now backing him wholeheartedly.
“Samajwadi Party supports Pranab Mukherjee. He is a vidhwan (scholar) in politics and under the present national situation, he is the most suitable person to be the country’s president,” Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh told reporters soon after the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) endorsed the finance minister’s name as its candidate for the presidential polls.
On Wednesday, Mulayam Singh had, along with Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee, virtually rejected the name of Mukherjee, a suggestion made by Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
Asked why he had changed his opinion all of a sudden, the Samajwadi Party chief quipped: “In politics, such questions are useless. As new situation emerges, decisions are taken.”
Earlier, party leader Ram Gopal Yadav announced his party’s support to Mukherjee.
“SP will support him,” he said. “We will pray for his victory.”
With this, Mulayam Singh and his party has in one deft move, ditched Banerjee on her effort to take along the Samajwadi Party to counter the Congress in the presidential polls.
- Trinamool calls Mulayam a 'traitor', hopes for consensus on Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- Game not over yet, won't say anything about Mulayam: Mamata (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Congress leader denies contacting Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- Met Sonia over presidential poll: Mulayam - Jun 16, 2012
- Had no other option but support Pranab: SP - Jun 16, 2012
- Have high regard for Mamata, says Mulayam - Sep 11, 2012
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi congratulates Pranab - Jun 16, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- Left intellectual questions call for consensus on Pranab - Jun 20, 2012
- India has got a very able president: Somnath - Jul 22, 2012
- Kalam hails Mamata's leadership qualities, honesty - Jun 19, 2012
- Trinamool accuses Pranab of trying to break party (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Raisina Hill race: Trinamool may tap NDA for support - Jun 18, 2012
- Jaiswal allocated three coal blocks in hour after becoming minister: SP - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: congress president sonia gandhi, decisions, mamata, mulayam singh, national situation, New Delhi, new situation, party chief, party leader, pranab mukherjee, presidential polls, progressive alliance, ram gopal, scholar, somersault, suitable person, u turn, UPA, victory, yadav