Samajwadi MP revolts against tie up with CongressJuly 2nd, 2008 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 2 (IANS)Accusing his party leaders of double standards, a Samajwadi Party MP Wednesday came out against a tie-up with the Congress party over the India-US nuclear deal. And a party legislator and another legislator from the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) came out in his support. “If the Samajwadi Party issues a whip (to vote for the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government), we will defy it,” Munawar Hassan, the Lok Sabha member from Muzzafarnagar in Uttar Pradesh, told reporters here.
The two legislators who came out in his support were Gauri Shanker of the Samajwadi Party (Malihabad in Lucknow) and Kadir Rana of RLD (Morna in Muzzafarnagar).
In comparison to the Samajwadi Party, Hassan asserted that Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati was never involved in any “anti-Muslim activities”.
“Mayawati has had three alliances with the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) and they were not at all involved in any anti-Muslim activities. But Mulayam Singh has no interest in us,” he said. “Today we are three but in near future we will be 13.”
When pointed out that Mayawati had attended election rallies of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, Hassan said: “We are not aware of any such activity.”
Hassan and the legislators claimed that the Samajwadi Party leadership was hurtling towards the Congress for selfish reasons under the garb of the controversial nuclear deal.
Hassan’s outburst came a day after Mayawati declared that the India-US nuclear deal would hurt Muslim sentiments.
- With Lucknow in mind, Ajit Singh gets civil aviation (Roundup) - Dec 18, 2011
- BSP sweeps Uttar Pradesh by-elections - Aug 21, 2009
- RLD-Congress team can replace Mayawati: Ajit Singh - Dec 18, 2011
- Congress betrayed Muslims: Mayawati - Dec 18, 2011
- Jayant Chaudhary quits assembly seat - Mar 20, 2012
- Congress's Muslim card, Ajit Singh's Jat clout on test in Tuesday's poll (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Rahul-Ajit combo try to whip up magic in Meerut (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Congress could be eyeing SP as alternative ally (News Analysis) - Jan 04, 2012
- Alliance with Congress not possible, says Akhilesh - Feb 29, 2012
- Mayawati won't benefit from Uttar Pradesh split: Ajit Singh - Nov 16, 2011
- Brisk voting in UP by-election at Mant - Jun 12, 2012
- On Delhi's edge, BSP holds sway (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Day after UP polls, parties assess performance - Mar 04, 2012
- Notification issued for UP Rajya Sabha seats - Mar 12, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh: Prominent winners and losers - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: alliance government, bjp, chief minister, congress party, election rallies, lok sabha member, lucknow, morna, mulayam singh, muzzafarnagar, narendra modi, nuclear deal, party leaders, party leadership, progressive alliance, revolts, rld, Samajwadi Party, selfish reasons, shanker