Salwa Judum hero, several Congress veterans lose in ChhattisgarhDecember 8th, 2008 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Dec 8 (IANS) Chhattisgarh Congress president Dhanendra Sahu, working president Satyanarayan Sharma, Leader of Opposition Mahendra Karma, deputy leader of opposition Bhupesh Baghel and Arun Vora, son of Congress veteran Motilal Vora, were among those whio lost the assembly elections Monday.According to election results declared Monday evening, Sahu lost his Abhanpur seat to Chandrasekhar Sahu of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), a former MP. Sharma lost Nandkumar Sahu (BJP) in the Raipur Rural constituency. Vora lost his Durg City seat to the BJP’s Hemchand Yadav.
Mahendra Karma, credited as the architect of the civil militia movement Salwa Judum, was expecting to score a winning hat-trick from Dantewada, but lost to Bheema Mandavi (BJP). Bhupesh Baghel lost his Patan seat to the BJP’s Vijay Baghel.
Karma and Baghel are known as critics of their senior party colleague and former chief minister Ajit Jogi.
Karma’s defeat in Dantewada, the state’s worst Maoist-insurgency hit area, is significant as human rights groups and even a section of the Congress camp, mainly led by Jogi, were critical of the movement.
The BJP, led by Chief Minister Raman Singh, retained power in Chhattisgarh.
- Factionalism widens in Chhattisgarh Congress after bypoll loss - Feb 19, 2011
- Hectic lobbying on for new Chhattisgarh Congress chief - Mar 21, 2011
- Congress factions in Chhattisgarh unite against Jogi - Dec 16, 2008
- Mining mafia threatened me: Chhattisgarh legislator - May 12, 2012
- Partymen hold Jogi responsible for Chhattisgarh poll debacle - Jan 18, 2009
- Jogi under attack from partymen for Chhattisgarh poll debacle (Lead) - Jan 18, 2009
- Congress sees no Lok Sabha hope in Chhattisgarh minus Jogi - Mar 08, 2009
- Congress struggles to pick candidate for Bastar - Apr 07, 2011
- Congress workers to court arrests in Chhattisgarh - Dec 05, 2011
- Ajit Jogi's son airlifted to Delhi after mob attack (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- BJP retains Chhattisgarh assembly seat, Congress admits setback (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Old rivals Shukla and Jogi lobby for Rajya Sabha berth - May 14, 2010
- Congress's Chhattisgarh assembly poll losers want Lok Sabha tickets - Feb 09, 2009
- Congress wiped out from Maoist-affected Bastar in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Dec 09, 2008
- 45 blinded: Congress slams BJP for compensation - Oct 25, 2011