Sajjan claims right to confront witness with proofMay 23rd, 2012 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Congress leader Sajjan Kumar Wednesday told a Delhi court hearing a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case against him that he has a right to confront a key witness with the evidence on record.
Sajjan Kumar’s counsel I.U. Khan told District Judge J.R. Aryan that his client had a right to cross-examine the witness with regard to evidence available on record.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) took the stand that it was “not relying” on the statements of witness Jagdish Kaur as these were contradictory.
The court would next hear the matter May 26.
Khan told the court that the probe agency was not relying upon certain documents of Jagdish Kaur.
He said that prosecutor R.S. Cheema July 12, 2010, made a statement in the court that affidavits of a witness in the case could not be used as they were contradictory.
The CBI opposed Sajjan Kumar’s plea and said it took objection in 2010 to Jagdish Kaur’s affidavits and statements, filed before the Ranganath Misra Commission and the G.T. Nanavati Commission, set up to probe the riots, but the accused had not said anything at that time.
The court was hearing the final arguments in a case against Sajjan Kumar and five other accused for inciting mob against the Sikh community during the riots that broke out after the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi Oct 31, 1984.
- Sajjan Kumar accuses CBI of playing fraud - May 19, 2012
- Court reserves order on Sajjan's plea - May 26, 2012
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- Court seeks CBI's reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - May 15, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court rejects Sajjan Kumar's plea (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- 1984 riots: No stay on Sajjan Kumar's trial - Jul 03, 2012
- Named in riots case after 16 years: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court seeks CBI reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - Jun 13, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- SC suspends Sajjan Kumar's trial in 1984 riots case (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Rivals implicated me in 1984 riots case: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- Only three witnesses deposed against me: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 22, 2012
- Police recorded 1984 witnesses' statements in unfair manner: CBI - Apr 09, 2012
- Supreme Court suspends Sajjan Kumar trial in '84 riots case - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: affidavits, anti sikh riots, aryan, cbi, central bureau of investigation, cheema, congress leader, delhi court, district judge, indira gandhi, kaur, key witness, nanavati commission, objection, oct 31, prime minister indira, prosecutor, ranganath, sajjan kumar, sikh community