Sadananda Gowda takes over as Karnataka CM (Lead)August 4th, 2011 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Aug 4 (IANS) D.V. Sadananda Gowda was Thursday sworn in as Karnataka’s 20th chief minister at a brief ceremony on the lawns of Raj Bhavan here.
Governor H.R. Bhardwaj administered the oath of office to Gowda as the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) second chief minister in south India at 4.30 p.m.
The 58-year-old Gowda took oath in Kannada in the presence of several dignitaries, former BJP ministers, including his predecessor B.S. Yeddyurappa, opposition leaders, top civil and police officials, his family members and hundreds of his supporters.
The absence of former rural development minister Jagadish Shettar, who lost to Gowda in the election to the post of the BJP legislature party leader Wednesday, was conspicuous though party’s Bangalore South MP H.N. Anantha Kumar was present.
Contrary to reports during the day, only Gowda took oath and no other lawmaker or party leader was sworn in as minister.
Gowda, who represents the party in the Lok Sabha from Udupi-Chickmaglur constituency, has to be elected to the state legislative assembly or nominated to the legislative council in the next six months to continue as chief minister.
- Shettar stakes claim to form government - Jul 11, 2012
- Gowda is Karnataka chief minister, opponents boycott swearing-in (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Shettar sworn in as Karnataka chief minister - Jul 12, 2012
- Gowda resigns, Shettar stakes claim, faces ministry-making hurdle (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Gowda stakes claim to form government in Karnataka - Aug 03, 2011
- Gowda quits as Karnataka CM - Jul 11, 2012
- Sadananda Gowda to be BJP's new Karnataka chief minister (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Gowda becomes Karantaka chief minister, opponents boycott ceremony (Night Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Karnataka CM-designate Shettar grapples with ministry formation (Evening Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Gowda quits as Karnataka CM (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Gowda to be new Karnataka chief minister (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Election of new BJP leader in Karnataka Aug 3 - Aug 01, 2011
- BJP meets to select Yeddyurappa successor - Aug 03, 2011
- Yeddyurappa resigns, wants Sadananda Gowda as successor (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2011
- Gowda woos Shettar faction before swearing-in - Aug 04, 2011
Tags: anantha, bjp, chief minister, constituency, development minister, dignitaries, gowda, jagadish, janata party, kannada, lawmaker, legislative assembly, legislative council, Lok Sabha, oath of office, opposition leaders, party leader, police officials, rural development, south india