Sad day for Indian democracy: ChauhanJuly 22nd, 2008 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan Tuesday hit out at the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government for allegedly indulging in horse-trading and trying to bribe Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs to shore up its numbers in the house. Describing Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s government as a “minority government”, he lashed out at Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Amar Singh and Congress’ Ahmed Patel who allegedly offered the bribe money to three BJP MPs - Ashok Argal, Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bhagora. The first two are from Madhya Pradesh.
“It is a sad day in the history of the Indian democracy. Amar Singh and Revati Raman Singh of the Samajwadi Party and Ahmed Patel of the Congress offered money to Ashok Argal and Faggan Singh Kulaste to abstain from the voting,” he said.
Earlier in the day, Argal, surrounded by his party colleagues, had displayed bundles of currency notes in parliament saying Rs.10 million was given to him by an SP leader as “advance” for abstaining from the trust vote.
The allegation led to so much hue and cry in the house that Deputy Speaker Charanjit Atwal adjourned the proceedings hurriedly.
The BJP MPs also claimed that they have videotapes to prove their allegations against the SP.
“The tapes should be made public, it will bring out the black face of the congress and the UPA,” Chauhan said.
“Dirty efforts were made to save a minority government,” he alleged.
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP booked; bail pleas of three put off - Oct 03, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Cops furnish CD transcripts to accused - May 26, 2012
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
- Cash-for-votes middleman names Amar, Patel - Jul 20, 2011
- Amar Singh to be questioned on cash-for-votes - Jul 20, 2011
- Police response sought on bail plea of Amar Singh's ex-aide (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- Cash-for-vote scam: Congress declines comment on allegations - Jul 20, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Ex-BJP worker to be quizzed - Jul 19, 2011
- Ahmed Patel was mastermind behind cash-for-vote scam: Gadkari - Nov 18, 2011
- Expose beneficiaries of cash-for-vote: Kulkarni - Nov 18, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Government indeed tried to buy MPs, says BJP - Nov 17, 2011
- Cash-for-vote scandal: SP, BJP MPs questioned - Jul 25, 2011
- Court pulls up cash-for-vote accused for wearing sunglasses - May 28, 2012
- 'Very critical' Amar Singh gets bail - Oct 24, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
Tags: ahmed patel, argal, atwal, bribe money, currency notes, deputy speaker, horse trading, hue and cry, indian democracy, janata party, mahavir, manmohan singh, minority government, party colleagues, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, raman singh, revati, trust vote