Sack Chidambaram, says AgniveshAugust 24th, 2012 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) Activist Swami Agnivesh Thursday demanded the removal of Finance Minister P. Chidambaram, who was earlier the home minister, over the alleged killing of 19 “civilians” by security personnel in June in Chhattisgarh.
He alleged the victims were branded as Maoists and killed by the security personnel.
Agnivesh submitted a memorandum to President Pranab Mukherjee, in which he demanded the removal of Chidambaram.
“It was a gruesome killing of 19 Adivasi people who had nothing to do with the insurgency. The mass killing took place under the joint operation command directly under then home minister P. Chidambaram and Chhattisgarh. Chidambaram must be sacked from the cabinet,” he told reporters.
Agnivesh said the fact that the victims were tribals and not Maoists was corroborated by the Congress in Chhattisgarh through an inquiry committee under a legislator.
“I have also demanded that the prime minister must apologies to the Adivasi community and an ex-gratia of Rs.25 lakh must be provided to family members of each of those killed,” he added.
- Government defends Chattisgarh operation, activists seek independent probe (Roundup) - Jul 02, 2012
- Chidambaram is biggest murderer of democracy: Swami Agnivesh (Interview) - May 07, 2012
- Agnivesh to discuss Maoist talks with Hazare Saturday - Apr 15, 2011
- Arya Samaj leader to pursue Maoist dialogue efforts - Jun 17, 2010
- Swami Agnivesh considers Maoist leader Azad's death a "serious blow" to peace initiatives - Jul 19, 2010
- Government to pump in Rs 6 bn to fight Maoists - Jan 13, 2011
- NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh over attack on Swami Agnivesh - Mar 30, 2011
- Congress seeks CBI probe into Chhattisgarh killings - Jul 02, 2012
- Agnivesh attacked by protesters, two officials transferred - Mar 27, 2011
- Swami Agnivesh demands judicial probe into Azad's death - Jul 08, 2010
- Salwa Judum has gone out of control: Agnivesh - Mar 27, 2011
- Orissa pays tribute to Chhattisgarh martyrs - Jul 01, 2010
- Two Chhattisgarh cops killed in Maoist ambush (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Agnivesh demands judicial probe into Kishenji killing - Nov 26, 2011
- Maoists strike again, kill cop in Odisha (Fourth Lead) - May 08, 2012
Tags: apologies, chhattisgarh, civilians, congress, ex gratia, family members, finance minister, home minister, inquiry committee, insurgency, lakh, legislator, maoists, memorandum, New Delhi, p chidambaram, pranab mukherjee, prime minister, security personnel, swami