S-Band spectrum: Needle of suspicion points at Chavan, alleges BJPFebruary 8th, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 8 (IANS) A senior Bharatiya Janata Party leader Tuesday alleged that the ‘needle of suspicion’ in the S-Band spectrum deal pointed at Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan who was the then union minister dealing with the space department.However, Chavan, promptly denied the allegation at a media conference in Sangli in the evening.
When contacted, an official in the Chief Minister’s Office in Mumbai said the government is likely to issue a detailed statement in the matter after Chavan returns home later in the night.
Speaking to mediapersons in Mumbai in the afternoon, state BJP general secretary Vinod Tawde pointed out that ISRO is an extremely sensitive department from the country’s security aspect.
“That is why it is handled directly by the PMO and the concerned minister in that office,” Tawde said.
“At the relevant time, Chavan was the minister in PMO and hence the needle of suspicion points at him. He must reply to the charges,” Tawde added.
Denying BJP’s accusations, Chavan said in Sangli that the matter had come before him last year when he was in PMO.
However, he said that a committee set up to look into the S-Band Spectrum had recommended cancellation of the deal with ISRO.
- BJP slams government on Devas-ISRO deal - Feb 13, 2011
- PMO says no revenue losses in S-band spectrum (Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- BJP challenges PM on ISRO agreement - Feb 08, 2011
- No revenue loss in S-band spectrum, contract being reviewed: Government (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- Committee appointed to review Antrix Devas deal on S-band spectrum - Feb 10, 2011
- ISRO job is not allocation of spectrum, clarifies Madhavan Nair - Feb 09, 2011
- Chavan meets Sonia, Pranab over Antrix-Devas agreement - Feb 16, 2011
- Nair slams government, ISRO chief for action against him (Intro Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
- Reply of PMO on S-Band scam is unsatisfactory, claims BJP - Feb 08, 2011
- ISRO agreement to be annulled, no mention of end-use terms (Roundup) - Feb 08, 2011
- ISRO spectrum scam denied by Prime Minister's office - Feb 08, 2011
- S-Band agreement caused no loss to Govt.: ISRO - Feb 08, 2011
- No decision yet on S-band allocation: PMO - Feb 08, 2011
- Centre will take apt action in S-Band spectrum allocation: Pallam Raju - Feb 08, 2011
- BJP continues attack on PM on ISRO agreement - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: accusations, allegation, band spectrum, bharatiya janata party, cancellation, chavan, chief minister, general secretary, isro, party leader, pmo, relevant time, sangli, security aspect, space department, suspicion, union minister, vinod