Russia’s growing ties with China matter of concern: BJP MPOctober 14th, 2011 - 12:31 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin’s recent visit to China has been noted in strategic circles in India, with a BJP MP saying Russia’s increasing cooperation with China and Pakistan should be “a matter of concern” to India.
“In a post-cold war era, Russia’s increasing cooperation with China and Pakistan is a development that India can’t ignore and its implications on our security must be a matter of concern for us,” Tarun Vijay, national spokesperson of the Bharatiya Janata Party and a Rajya Sabha member, said here in a statement.
Alluding to Putin’s just concluded high profile three-day visit to China, Vijay said that India should keep “a vigilant watch over changing geopolitical equations”.
During the visit, Russia and China struck 16 economic and trade cooperation deals worth more than $7 billion in new energy, mining, machinery, vehicle, electronics and agricultural sectors.
“The guiding principle should be - trust Russia but keep a watch,” cautioned Vijay.
“In this background, we find UPA government’s attitude completely oblivious of the ground situation. It is in a self-denial mode, paralysed by domestic pressures and survival exercises, failing to strengthen new India-interest-centric positions in foreign affairs,” he said.
India’s ties with Russia have steadily accelerated in the last decade, with Moscow still accounting for over 60 per cent of India’s military hardware imports.
- BJP MP praises Manmohan on BRICS, East Asia policy - Mar 20, 2012
- 'Four-way oil swap win-win for India-Russia' - May 14, 2012
- Putin calls for closer economic ties with China - Oct 12, 2011
- Chinese, Russian PMs pledge closer cooperation - Oct 11, 2011
- The China challenge: Present and former NSAs debate India's options - Feb 28, 2012
- Chinese PM to visit Russia - Nov 06, 2011
- Hu, Putin discuss bilateral cooperation, strategic tie-ups - Oct 12, 2011
- Putin begins state visit to China (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Putin proposes anti-terror centre in SCO - Jun 07, 2012
- Russia will continue to back NATO mission: Putin - Aug 02, 2012
- Putin to deepen cooperation with India, China - Jul 10, 2012
- Pakistani PM to attend SCO summit in Russia - Nov 01, 2011
- Ties with major powers to help India tackle China: Saran (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Manmohan, Medvedev pledge to scale up civil nuclear ties - Mar 29, 2012
- Putin to cheer for Russian judokas in Olympics - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: agricultural sectors, bharatiya janata party, cooperation with china, domestic pressures, ground situation, guiding principle, last decade, military hardware, mining machinery, national spokesperson, new energy, new india, paralysed, rajya sabha member, russian prime minister, self denial, trade cooperation, UPA, vehicle electronics, vladimir putin