Russian president gains 1 mn online fans in 24 hoursNovember 11th, 2011 - 10:05 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 11 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Dmitry Medvedev’s account at the country’s largest social networking site Vkontakte has gained one million followers in the 24 hours or so since it was set up.
Medvedev created his profile at Vkontakte Wednesday, several hours prior to an informal meeting with Russian bloggers.
The president’s profile says his interests are: “work, family, sports, internet” and favourite music is “hard-rock, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, classical.”
Medvedev has created two photo albums - one with images of landscapes he captured with his professional camera and another with photographs, featuring his everyday life as president.
His latest post, saying: “Thank you for your attention and gifts! Getting used to Vkontakte’s style. Good night, everybody!” gathered more than 17,000 ‘likes’ in less than one day.
Vkontakte, Russia’s most popular website, which has over 100 million userbase, is famous for its pirate music and video content, available for downloading.
Medvedev, who styles himself as a technologically savvy leader, is registered on Twitter, has a blog on LiveJournal and an account on YouTube and Facebook.
His Facebook fan page has already gained over 300,000 followers.
Medvedev initially opened his Twitter account in June 2010 during a visit to Silicon Valley. More than 660,000 people are currently following him at MedvedevRussia on the micro-blogging site, while the English version, MedvedevRussiaE, has almost 134,000 followers.
Medvedev’s twittering has, however, been mercilessly parodied at the @KermlinRussia Twitter account.
- Medvedev has 1 mn Twitter followers - Feb 19, 2012
- Russian president joins Facebook - Oct 20, 2011
- Medvedev doesn't mind abusive comments on Twitter - May 13, 2011
- Obscene tweet posted on Medvedev's Twitter account - Dec 08, 2011
- Russian president has over 77,000 Twitter followers - Jul 21, 2010
- Russian president's cat top trend on Twitter - Mar 29, 2012
- Medvedev accepts Schwarzenegger invite for skiing - Jan 04, 2011
- Russian president sparks Twitter rush among his officials - Jul 16, 2010
- Key Russian websites hacked, down on election day - Dec 04, 2011
- Russian orthodox church opens Facebook account - May 16, 2012
- Russian social network delays IPO after Facebook crash - May 30, 2012
- Karzai opens Facebook, Twitter accounts - Nov 25, 2011
- Russians reach late for work after time switch - Oct 31, 2011
- Russian social network not to close opposition accounts - Dec 09, 2011
- Russian president joins Twitter - Jun 24, 2010
Tags: black sabbath, deep purple, dmitry medvedev, family sports, fan page, followers, images of landscapes, led zeppelin, livejournal, pirate music, professional camera, ria novosti, russian president, silicon valley, snb, social networking site, twitter, video content, vkontakte, youtube