Russian human rights activist detained in MinskApril 29th, 2011 - 9:47 am ICT by IANS
Minsk, April 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Belarusian Law enforcement officers detained a Russian human rights activist, Ivan Kondratenko, in Minsk Thursday, according to a statement issued by the Committee for International Control over the human rights situation in Belarus.
“Today, April 28, during the monitoring of one of the trials of participants in the events of December 19, 2010 (rally opposition), law enforcement officials have detained an observer from the International Observation Mission,” the statement said.
Another Russia, Andrei Yurov, head of the International Observation Mission, was in a similar situation. He was detained in Belarus in March and deported within 24 hours.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, who has ruled the country with an iron fist since 1994, won a new term of office in disputed polls in December.
Dozens of opposition figures, including rival candidates, were arrested after violent protests in Minsk following the announcement of the result.
- Obama urges more pressure on Belarus' Lukashenko - May 29, 2011
- Suspended sentences for Belarus opposition activists - May 21, 2011
- Belarusian police cordon off Minsk central square to quell protest - Jun 16, 2011
- Lukashenko denied accreditation to Olympics: Britain - Jul 26, 2012
- US to expand sanctions against Belarus: Obama - May 28, 2011
- Five opposition protesters sentenced to jail in Belarus - May 06, 2011
- 11 dead in Minsk metro blast: Belarus president (Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
- Belarus calls off nuclear fuel swap programme with US - Aug 19, 2011
- Belarusian President warns action against protesters - Jun 15, 2011
- Belarus embassy wraps up in Sweden - Aug 11, 2012
- IOC, London organisers deny banning Belarus president - Jul 25, 2012
- Belarus urged to release political prisoners - Dec 19, 2011
- Belarusian border guards get flak over teddy bears - Aug 03, 2012
- Belarus tells EU, Polish envoys to leave - Feb 29, 2012
- Olympics: Belarus denies boycott rumours - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: alexander, alexander lukashenko, andrei, april 29, belarusian, dozens, human rights activist, human rights situation, iron fist, ivan, kondratenko, law enforcement officers, law enforcement officials, observation mission, opposition figures, president alexander lukashenko, rally opposition, ria novosti, rival candidates, violent protests