Russian executed in 1918 cleared 94 years laterAugust 24th, 2012 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 24 (IANS) Prosecutors in Russia, embarking on a quest for historical justice, formally cleared a peasant executed in 1918 for opposing the Bolsheviks, RIA Novosti reported.
Two Communists sent to Yemangashi village as part of the notorious grain confiscation campaign during the Russian Civil War were murdered by a peasant mob, prosecutors in Nizhny Novgorod region said Friday.
A squad of Chekists — KGB forerunners — was dispatched to Yamangashi and promptly executed 20 suspects, including farmer Alexander Runovsky.
But there was no evidence that Runovsky was involved in the incident.
The man was cleared of all charges in accordance with a law from 1991 on rehabilitation of victims of political repressions.
The civil war that followed the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917 raged until the early 1920s.
Estimates for casualties range from three to 10 million people including up to two million victims of mass extra-judicial killings carried out by the warring sides.
- Heir demands reopening of investigation into murder of Russian Tsar Nicholas II - Jan 16, 2010
- Math teacher in Russia sentenced for verbal abuse - Apr 12, 2012
- Tsar Nicholas II's billions of pounds worth lost gold found in world's deepest lake in Siberia? - Sep 01, 2010
- Russian 'genius' lived with 26 female bodies - Nov 04, 2011
- List of venues for 2018 World Cup to be announced Sep 29 - Sep 05, 2012
- Ammo blast kills six in Russia - May 03, 2012
- Russia to build two space-defence missile plants - Feb 04, 2012
- FIFA World Cup delegates visit Samara - Jun 22, 2012
- Russia plans to host 2018 FIFA World Cup in 13 cities - May 07, 2011
- Lenin monument vandalised in Russia - Sep 01, 2012
- Russian sect views Putin as reincarnation of St. Paul - May 12, 2011
- Ecuador nominates Lenin for Nobel Prize - Feb 04, 2012
- Pilot dies in chopper crash in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- 88 missing as ship sinks in Russia - Jul 10, 2011
- Mother throws crying baby from 14th floor - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: 10 million, 1918, 1920s, bolshevik revolution of 1917, bolsheviks, casualties, communists, confiscation, extra judicial killings, forerunners, kgb, mob, moscow, novgorod region, peasant, prosecutors, revolution of 1917, ria novosti, russian civil war, two million