Russia slams NATO targeting of Gaddafi, relativesMay 12th, 2011 - 8:54 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Declaring Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi and his relatives a legitimate target of NATO attacks is “going overboard”, said Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov Wednesday.
“The coalition is, in effect, openly declaring that its task is regime change [in Libya]. That Gaddafi and his relatives…are a legitimate target. This is over the top,” he said in an interview with the Moskovksie Novosti daily to be published Thursday.
He reiterated Moscow’s view that the coalition is supporting only one side in the conflict.
“There is only one way out. An immediate ceasefire, as Russia has already proposed at the Security Council. Then a search for a solution through mediation,” he said.
Violence in Libya, which began in mid-February, has already claimed thousands of lives, with Gaddafi’s troops maintaining their combat capabilities despite NATO air strikes against them.
- Russia to ensure its two nationals' return from Libya - May 01, 2012
- Russian presidential envoy ready to meet Gaddafi - Jun 08, 2011
- NATO air strikes in Tripoli kill 19 civilians: Libyan TV - May 25, 2011
- Libya welcomes Russian efforts in peace talks - Jul 21, 2011
- Libya to honour UN resolution if NATO ends air strikes: Russia - May 17, 2011
- Moscow questions NATO attack on Gaddafi - Oct 22, 2011
- Libya seeks Moscow's role in peaceful settlement to conflict - Apr 25, 2011
- NATO strikes on Libya amount to land operation: Moscow - Jun 04, 2011
- Moscow alarmed over NATO's disproportionate use of force in Libya - Jun 05, 2011
- Hundreds of Libyan refugees feared dead after ship sinks off Libya - May 10, 2011
- Moscow to use 'practical measures' for resolving Libyan crisis - Jun 10, 2011
- Russia invites Libyan rebels to discuss projects - Sep 04, 2011
- US stopped 'Gaddafi's deadly advance': Obama (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- UN sees no military solution to Libya conflict - Aug 12, 2011
- Western forces breaching UN resolution on Libya: Russian envoy - Apr 18, 2011
Tags: ceasefire, combat capabilities, conflict, foreign minister, legitimate target, libya, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, mediation, moscow, muammar gaddafi, nato air, nato attacks, regime change, relatives, ria novosti, security council, sergei lavrov, slams, violence