Russia offers NATO military cooperation dealMay 5th, 2011 - 1:14 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, May 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia has offered NATO a three to five year military cooperation plan, Chief of the General Staff Nikolai Makarov said Wednesday.
“This approach will help define exactly what we want to achieve as a result of our cooperation,” he told reporters in Brussels.
“This will enable us to look beyond the horizon,” Makarov said, adding that “corresponding instructions have already been issued to military representatives of the NATO-Russia Council.”
Russian-NATO cooperation needs to be geared more toward practical results, he said.
Makarov cited an upcoming large-scale submarine exercise off the Spanish coast near Cartagena as a successful example of Russia-NATO cooperation.
The 12-day exercise, code-named Exercise Bold Monarch, will be held in June. It is held every three years and is the world’s largest submarine rescue exercise, involving submarines, ships and aircraft from both NATO and non-NATO countries, including Russia.
This will be the first time a Russian submarine will participated in a NATO exercise.
Some 2,000 military and non-military personnel from over 20 countries will participate in the exercise that is designed to maximise international cooperation in submarine rescue operations.
- NATO, Russia to sign compendium on cooperation - May 04, 2011
- NATO commander to talk Euro missile shield in Moscow - Oct 10, 2011
- Russia joins NATO in submarine rescue drills - May 31, 2011
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia, NATO fighters to hold first anti-terror drill - Jun 01, 2011
- Russia, NATO to discuss military ties - Jul 22, 2010
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
- Top Russian army official on India visit - Dec 07, 2010
- Russia admits Iranian, North Korean n-threat - Apr 25, 2012
- Russia expects US compromise on missile defense - Oct 27, 2011
- Russia-Cuba to sign deal to make rifle ammunition - Dec 01, 2011
- Russia, China complete first stage of naval drills - Apr 25, 2012
- Russia to build anti-NATO missile shield - Feb 05, 2012
- Russia, NATO may discuss Libyan crisis - Mar 02, 2011
- Russia, China to conduct military drill - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: brussels, cartagena, general staff, international cooperation, military cooperation, military personnel, military representatives, monarch, nato countries, nato exercise, nato russia, nikolai makarov, rescue exercise, rescue operations, ria novosti russia, russian submarine, spanish coast, submarine rescue, submarines, vm