Russia needs fair elections: GorbachevSeptember 22nd, 2011 - 6:55 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Sep 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia needs to make urgent changes to its political system if it is to avoid instability, former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has warned.
“For Russia, honest and free elections, as well as political competition, are as necessary as fresh air,” Gorbachev, 80, said in an article published by the popular Moskovsky Komsomolets newspaper.
Gorbachev, who was the last head of state of the USSR, said that he had noted a “growing concern” among Russians over the “degradation of the state” and “demoralisation of society.”
But, Gorbachev said, “It is difficult to get away from the feeling that the Russian authorities have neither the political will nor the readiness to find a real way out.”
He also warned that if Russia did not make changes in the next “five or six years,” then there was a “great chance that the country will be unable to get out of this dead-end.”
Russia sees parlimentary polls in December and presidential elections in March.
Gorbachev also said that Russia was returning to a dangerous period of stagnation such as that experienced in the Leonid Brezhnev-era.
- Putin not interested to solve Russian problems: Gorbachev - Aug 16, 2011
- Gorbachev plans to revive former party - Mar 22, 2012
- Gunshot kills Russian government official - Dec 29, 2011
- Libya to honour Russian contracts - Nov 02, 2011
- Russian media tycoon sells radio stations - May 17, 2012
- Gorbachev worried about Putin's return - Sep 26, 2011
- Putin's birthday triggers Twitter flash mob - Oct 08, 2011
- New government, new people: Medvedev - Oct 16, 2011
- Russians head for polls to elect new president - Mar 04, 2012
- State, businesses both responsible for corruption: Putin - Aug 07, 2012
- Russia to test first combat drone in 2014 - Apr 20, 2012
- Russian protests may turn into civil war: Billionaire - Jan 31, 2012
- Orbiting cosmonauts vote in Russian polls - Mar 05, 2012
- Russia must democratise to avoid mass unrest: Gorbachev - Oct 19, 2010
- Gorbachev urges Russia election re-run - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: dangerous period, degradation, free elections, fresh air, growing concern, head of state, leonid brezhnev, mikhail gorbachev, moscow, moskovsky komsomolets, political competition, presidential elections, ria novosti russia, russian authorities, russians, six years, soviet leader, stagnation, urgent changes, ussr