Russia, India to hold joint naval exercise in JanuaryJanuary 12th, 2009 - 3:49 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 12 (RIA Novosti) Six Russian warships, including a nuclear-powered missile cruiser, will participate in a joint naval exercise with the Indian Navy this month, a senior defence official said Sunday. The exercise will be held as part of a biennial defence programme called INDRA to boost cooperation in maritime law, anti-piracy operations, and counter terrorism and drug smuggling, the chief of the Russian General Staff, said.
INDRA-2009 is the fourth such exercise since 2003 and would involve a number of live-fire drills.
“The exercise will be held in the Arabian Sea at the end of January. Russia will be represented by six ships, including the Pyotr Veliky nuclear-powered missile cruiser,” Army General Nikolai Makarov said.
The Northern Fleet’s Pyotr Veliky missile cruiser is currently anchored near South Africa.
A naval task force led by the cruiser recently participated in joint exercises with the Venezuelan navy in the Caribbean.
The missile cruiser will be joined by other warships from the Pacific Fleet for participating in the INDRA-2009 exercise.
- Russian nuke-powered missile cruiser to be in Goa for joint exercise - Aug 05, 2010
- Russia, India to hold joint naval drills in January - Nov 20, 2008
- Russian nuclear missile cruiser visits Goa port - Jan 29, 2009
- Nuclear-powered Russian missile cruiser to dock at Goa - Aug 05, 2010
- Russian, Indian navies complete joint naval exercise - Feb 12, 2009
- Russian, Chinese warships begin joint exercises - Apr 24, 2012
- Indian Navy deploys western fleet ships on a goodwill visit - Aug 20, 2010
- Four Russian warships set to leave for China - Apr 15, 2012
- Russia, China to conduct military drill - Apr 04, 2012
- Tsunami-hit Japan opts out of India-US naval war game - Apr 01, 2011
- India's third indigenous stealth frigate commissioning July 21 - Jun 25, 2012
- India, Russia to hold naval exercise (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Indian, Russian navies to expand cooperation in Indian Ocean Region - Jan 17, 2011
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- Russian warships in China for joint exercise - Apr 21, 2012