Ruling parties to win Tripura, Nagaland Rajya Sabha pollsMarch 17th, 2010 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala/Kohima, March 17 (IANS) Ruling parties are set to score in the Rajya Sabha polls in Nagaland and Tripura next week. While ruling Left Front nominee Jharna Das (Baidya) is poised to win in Tripura, the numbers are stacked in favour of Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) candidate Khekiho Zhimomi in Nagaland.
In Tripura, the main opposition Congress did not file any candidate for the lone Rajya Sabha seat. Tuesday was the last day of filing of nominations.
The ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) led-Left Front has nominated Das, the chairperson of Tripura Social Welfare Board, who would be the second woman from the state to be elected to the Rajya Sabha since 1952.
In 1980, Ela Bhattacharjee, mother-in-law of Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, was elected to the Rajya Sabha.
The Congress has 10 members in the 60-member Tripura assembly while its ally Indigenous Nationalist Party of Tripura (INPT) has one member. The remaining 49 members belong to the Left Front.
“As there is no chance of winning, we did not field any nominee for the Rajya Sabha seat in Tripura,” state Congress chief Surajeet Datta told IANS.
In Nagaland, the numbers favour Zhimomi, who will contest against Congress candidate and former Nagaland Mahila (woman) Congress president Imdanglemla Aier, also the chairperson of the state social welfare advisory board.
The main opposition Congress has 19 legislators in the 60-member Nagaland Assembly, while 40 members are from DAN coalition and one member is independent.
“The nominations were scrutinised Wednesday while the last day of withdrawal of candidature is Friday. The poll would be held March 26,” officials said in Kohima.
- Zhimomi re-elected to Rajya Sabha from Nagaland - Mar 27, 2010
- CPI-M's Jharna Das elected to Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2010
- Northeast's lawmakers vote in presidential poll - Jul 19, 2012
- 'Tainted' BJP leader files Rajya Sabha papers - Mar 19, 2012
- Elections for 14 Rajya Sabha seats to be held on March 26 - Feb 23, 2010
- Mukherjee has majority support in northeast - Jul 07, 2012
- Congress legislators revolt against party chiefs in Tripura, Nagaland - Jan 04, 2010
- Three northeastern states to get high courts by October - May 17, 2012
- West Bengal Congress to contest Rajya Sabha polls - Mar 18, 2012
- Pranab will out-do Sangma in northeast: Congress - Jul 19, 2012
- Poll panel begins groundwork for polls in five states - Sep 04, 2012
- Peace vital for development of Nagaland: Rahul - Nov 09, 2011
- In Meghalaya, Sangma's chances are the talking point (With Images) (Meghalaya Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- CPI-M's easy win in Tripura bypoll - Jun 15, 2012
- Tripura legislator accused of faking caste certificate - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,