RSS questions Nitish Kumar’s ’secular PM’ commentsJune 24th, 2012 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) In a veiled attack on Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for insisting on a secular prime minister, the RSS has sought to know why there was such aversion for Hindutva in India.
“What is the meaning of saying (that the) prime minister should be secular?” the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh’s mouthpiece Panchajanya asked in an editorial.
“Our constitution makers did not give any such ‘distinguished identity’ to the prime minister’s post, perhaps because they believed that India has always stood for eternal values, religion and culture, and the basis of our society and national life is the feeling of all-inclusiveness and mutual existence,” it said.
The editorial said a prime minister’s responsibility as head of the central government was to protect the democratic values and the rights of all without any discrimination.
Comments about the need for a secular prime minister were being made “for vote-bank politics and minority appeasement”, it said.
The RSS mouthpiece did not name Nitish Kumar or his party, the Janata Dal-United.
Nitish Kumar has said that the National Democratic Alliance’s prime ministerial candidate should be secular and liberal.
With elections nearly two years away, the NDA or the BJP has yet to name a prime ministerial candidate.
- RSS backs Narendra Modi as prime ministerial candidate - Jun 20, 2012
- RSS justifies chief's statement on PM candidate (Lead, superseding previous story) - Jun 20, 2012
- RSS justifies chief's statement on prime ministerial candidate (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Sharad Yadav dodges queries on Modi as PM row - Jun 20, 2012
- BJP faces criticism from own ranks, allies on Kushwaha issue - Jan 05, 2012
- Presidential run-up more damaging for BJP than Congress (Comment) - Jun 23, 2012
- Kushwaha issue divides BJP, Congress questions its credentials (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Bihar leaders in war of words over PM candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- Nobody has right to give fatwa on secularism: BJP - Jun 20, 2012
- Nitish attacks Modi as Shiv Sena backs Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Leave BJP, Lalu tells Nitish - Aug 16, 2012
- Advani's last throw of the dice (Comment) - Oct 15, 2011
- Bihar stocks RSS books in government schools, says JD-U rebel - Jul 31, 2011
- Modi needs to review style of working: RSS mouthpiece (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- NDA PM should be like Vajpayee: Sushil Modi - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: appeasement, aversion, bjp, central government, chief minister, democratic values, eternal values, hindutva, inclusiveness, janata, june 24, mouthpiece, national democratic alliance, nda, New Delhi, prime minister, prime ministerial candidate, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, religion and culture, vote bank