RSS chief to visit Jammu TuesdayJune 21st, 2009 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 21 (IANS) Right-wing Hindu group Rashtriya Sawayamsewak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Rao Bhagwat and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh will visit the Jammu and Kashmir winter capital Tuesday.
The two leaders would be here to observe the death anniversary of the founder of Jan Sangh, Syama Prasad Mukherjee, who died in a Jammu and Kashmir prison June 23, 1953.
Mukherjee was imprisoned for entering the state without a proper permit in violation of the Article 370. His entry was in protest against the separate constitution, head of the state and flag of Jammu and Kashmir.
Mukherjee wanted that Jammu and Kashmir be declared as an integral part of India and governed like any other state of the country.
Those days a special permit was needed to visit the state, which had its prime minister (wazeer-e-azam) and president (sadr-e-riyasat). The nomenclature of heads was later changed to chief minister and governor respectively and the special permit too was abrogated.
But the state continues to enjoy special status under Article 370 with its own flag and constitution.
The RSS and BJP have been demanding revocation of the article.
- Jammu University revokes permission for RSS, BJP function - Jun 22, 2009
- BJP to stick to Hindutva ideology - Jun 23, 2009
- India should help Pakistan fight terror: BJP (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- Autonomy recommendations fuel political debate in Kashmir - Mar 20, 2011
- Kashmir: amend armed forces act, switch to rubber bullets (Comment) - Aug 14, 2010
- Government clueless about anarchy in Kashmir: Advani - Aug 08, 2010
- BJP, RSS call second struggle to abolish Article 370 - Mar 20, 2010
- Karan Singh declines comment on interlocutors' report - May 25, 2012
- Advani blogs against Kashmir's autonomy - Mar 22, 2010
- RSS to burn copy of Kashmir interlocutors report - Jul 17, 2012
- BJP will never accept dilution of Indianness: Gadkari - Feb 01, 2010
- Fond memories abound as Zero Bridge dismantled - Apr 04, 2012
- Omar should quit at the earliest: Advani - Oct 17, 2010
- Can Abdullah emerge unscathed from AFSPA logjam? - Nov 16, 2011
- Congress, PDP slam BJP's flag hoisting plan - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: azam, bhagwat, bharatiya janata party, bjp president, chief minister, death anniversary, hindu group, jammu and kashmir, jan sangh, june 21, june 23, kashmir, mohan rao, nomenclature, rajnath singh, revocation, right wing, sadr, syama prasad, winter capital