RSS chief quotes Hollywood film to explain climate changeFebruary 3rd, 2010 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 3 (IANS) Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat is in sync with Hollywood. He tried to explain the perils of climate change using the recent Hollywood blockbuster “2012″ as an example at a public meeting here Wednesday.
“Climate change is an issue which is in focus. Everyone says that if it is not settled, then the world will end. People have even predicted dates like Dec 21, 2012. Movies have been made and we watch it,” Bhagwat said referring to the John Cusack-starrer Hollywood film, which quotes an ancient Mayan calendar that predicts that the world would end Dec 21, 2012.
“Of course, climate is a serious issue. But the world will not end that way (as shown in the film), but it is a worrying thing. It worries people when they see the movie,” Bhagwat said, addressing a few thousand uniformed RSS workers and the audience.
Underlining the importance of preserving the environment and maintaining climatic balance, Bhagwat said that countries like the Maldives and Nepal had already tried to convey the seriousness of the issue by holding cabinet meetings under water and at Himalayan heights respectively.
Bhagwat said that the deteriorating climate situation demanded an urgent switch in lifestyle and change from materialism and consumerism to living in tune with nature.
- Mayan doomsday prophecy not true: British expert - Dec 02, 2011
- Hotels get booked for end of Mayan era events - Aug 28, 2012
- Will the world end Dec 21? - Jun 30, 2012
- 'Oldest Mayan calendar offers no hint of world's end' - May 11, 2012
- Mexico's Mayan region begin their apocalypse countdown - Dec 21, 2011
- Mayans did not predict end of world in 2012: expert - Apr 12, 2010
- Cloud remains over outcome of Copenhagen climate talks: Mohan Bhagwat - Dec 26, 2009
- 'Mayan texts doesn't predict end of world in 2012' - Jul 08, 2010
- '2012' makes more than Rs.19 crore in opening weekend - Nov 17, 2009
- Doomsday sells as filmgoers spend $65 million on 2012 - Nov 16, 2009
- "2012": Following On The Footsteps Of The Mayan Predictions - Oct 02, 2009
- Unidentified metal from space startles Brazilians - Feb 25, 2012
- Oldest-known Mayan calendar found - May 11, 2012
- RSS, BJP deny differences on Advani yatra - Sep 21, 2011
- I'd love to do an Indian film: Jimi Mistry (Interview with image) - Nov 14, 2009
Tags: bhagwat, cabinet meetings, climate change, climate situation, consumerism, dec 21 2012, hollywood blockbuster, hollywood film, john cusack, maldives, materialism, mayan calendar, mohan, nepal, perils, preserving the environment, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, rss workers, seriousness, worrying thing