RSS backs Narendra Modi as prime ministerial candidateJune 20th, 2012 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, June 20 (IANS) Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) Chief Mohan Bhagwat Wednesday backed Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as a candidate for the prime minister’s post and said that the country should have a PM who propounded Hindutva.
“To keep alive the Hindutva ideology, the Hindu ’samaaj’ (society) should come together. And the country should have a prime minister who believes in that ideology or propounds that view,” Bhagwat told reporters here.
Bhagwat’s comments came a day after Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar hit out at Narendra Modi without naming him and said that the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), led by the Bharatiya Janata Party, should announce a secular prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Nitish Kumar Tuesday made it clear that Modi is unacceptable as an NDA candidate for prime ministership.
“Will Nitish decide what sort of person makes a good PM?” Bhagwat questioned.
He also slammed Nitish Kumar and said that he is scared to call himself a Hindu.
The Nitish-Modi rivalry has been on a high for the past few days. Modi took a dig at politicians from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar for what the Gujarat chief minister called “resort to caste-based politics”.
Nitish Kumar then said that Modi, who has been a constant irritant in the JD(U)-BJP coalition ties in Bihar, should mind his own business instead of making comments on others.
- Sharad Yadav dodges queries on Modi as PM row - Jun 20, 2012
- RSS justifies chief's statement on PM candidate (Lead, superseding previous story) - Jun 20, 2012
- RSS justifies chief's statement on prime ministerial candidate (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Bihar minister dares Nitish to sack him - Jun 20, 2012
- Leave BJP, Lalu tells Nitish - Aug 16, 2012
- Few takers for Sushil Modi's claim that Nitish PM material - Sep 03, 2012
- Nobody has right to give fatwa on secularism: BJP - Jun 20, 2012
- NDA PM should be like Vajpayee: Sushil Modi - Jun 19, 2012
- Nitish attacks Modi as Shiv Sena backs Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Bihar leaders in war of words over PM candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- Mamata welcome to join NDA: BJP - May 27, 2012
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- Congress ready for presidential contest - Jun 20, 2012
- Decision on prime ministerial candidate at appropriate time: BJP - Sep 10, 2012
- Five chief ministers skip NIC meet - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: bhagwat, bharatiya janata party, bjp, caste, chief minister, gujarat, hindu, irritant, jd, lok sabha elections, mohan, narendra modi, national democratic alliance, own business, prime minister, prime ministerial candidate, prime ministership, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, rivalry, rss chief