RSS activist killed, shutdown in Kerala townOctober 11th, 2008 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Kannur (Kerala), Oct 11 (IANS) A daylong shutdown was called by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) in a town in Kerala’s northern Kannur district Saturday after the killing of an RSS activist.RSS activist C.K. Anoop was killed in a bomb explosion at Eranjoli near Thalassery, about 25 km from here, late Friday night. Another activist, identified as Rijesh, was admitted to hospital with serious injuries.
The RSS has alleged that Anoop was killed in a bomb attack carried out by workers of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
The CPI-M has, however, refuted the charge saying that the RSS activist was killed while handling a country-made bomb himself.
Police officials in Kannur said they are yet to confirm whether the death was caused in a bomb attack or in an explosion caused while handling a bomb.
Kannur district has been a hotbed of political violence between the CPI-M and the BJP-RSS combine. A bout of such violence in March, triggered by an attack on an RSS leader, claimed at least seven lives.
- The killing fields of Kerala - Jun 01, 2012
- CPI-M legislator, 32 others charged in IUML worker murder - Aug 23, 2012
- CPI-M worker killed during Kerala shutdown (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- No compromise in probe into Left leader's murder: Chandy - May 10, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader arrested in murder case - Aug 01, 2012
- CPI-M legislator remanded in custody in murder case (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Trouble in volatile Kannur during polls - Oct 23, 2010
- Kerala CPI-M leader nabbed for former colleague's murder - Jun 29, 2012
- CPI(M) MLA Rajesh denied bail, Jayarajan's remand extended - Aug 14, 2012
- IPI condemns Marxists for newspaper blockade - Nov 04, 2011
- Being targeted to tarnish party, says Kerala CPI-M leader - May 18, 2012
- Decision on arrested Kerala CPI-M leader's bail Saturday - Aug 03, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for murder, party calls shutdown (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- CPI-M demands case, probe against Congress MP - Jun 30, 2012
- CPI-M not involved in former leader's murder: Achuthanandan - May 07, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bomb attack, bomb explosion, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, kannur district, political violence, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, seven lives, thalassery