RSP MP in West Bengal quits party after being denied ticketMarch 20th, 2009 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 20 (IANS) Continuing the desertions from West Bengal’s ruling Left Front ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) MP Joachim Baxla Friday resigned from the party after being denied renomination from Alipurduar.
“Baxla, in his resignation, termed the party’s decision (not to nominate him for the coming Lok Sabha polls) as autocratic, egoistic and undemocratic. He said there was no justice and thus he did not want to remain as a primary member of the party,” RSP central committee member Kshiti Goswami said.
“We heard that he (Baxla) is likely to contest as an Independent candidate from the Alipurduar seat in this election,” he added.
Baxla, however, declined to comment on any political issue.
“I am on a holiday. I would not comment anything on any political decision,” said Buxla, who is also a member of the RSP’s central committee.
To questions whether he would contest as an Independent from the constituency, he said: “I would take the decision later.”
The RSP is one of the constituents of the Left Front (LF) which has been ruling West Bengal since 1977.
Besides Baxla, two other sitting Lok Sabha members from the LF - Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) member from erstwhile Katwa seat Abu Ayash Mondal and Forward Bloc (FB) member from Cooch Behar Hiten Barman - have already quit their parties after they were refused renomination in the coming elections.
Mondal has since joined state’s main opposition Trinamool Congress, which promptly named him party vice-president. He has been actively campaigning for his new party in his erstwhile Katwa consituency in Burdwan district.
Sanat Mondal, another sitting RSP MP from Jaynagar who was denied ticket this time, has also expressed dissatisfaction over the party’s decision. However, he is yet to decide on resigning from the party.
- West Bengal Left Front faces heat from disgruntled MPs - Mar 13, 2009
- LF charges cash-rich opposition with hatching conspiracy - Mar 22, 2009
- Another Telangana MP resigns - Jul 07, 2011
- No problems in alliance, all united: UDF - May 01, 2012
- TDP suspends MP following meeting with Jagan - May 25, 2012
- Jangipur celebrates but some sadness at losing MP Pranabda - Jul 22, 2012
- Crisis in Andhra as Telangana MPs, MLAs quit enmasse (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- LF renominates Tapan Sen as Rajya Sabha candidate (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Congress plays down resignations of party lawmakers (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Two Congress lawmakers in Andhra quit, side with Jagan - Jun 04, 2012
- Movement for Telangana gathers momentum; cabinet meets (Intro Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- CPI-M expels West Bengal MP for 'anti-party activities' - Mar 05, 2009
- Nandigram, Singur were blunders: West Bengal minister (Interview) - Mar 20, 2011
- Mamata's not going to Dhaka a gimmick: Left - Sep 05, 2011
- Trinamool tells Trivedi to quit, he wants Mamata's written order (Roundup) - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,