Roll back fuel price hike, Left demandsMay 31st, 2012 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 31 (IANS) The government should roll back the petrol price hike, the four Left parties demanded Thursday, at the end of a day-long nationwide protests.
“The UPA government should heed this popular protests and roll back the price increase forthwith,” a joint statement by the CPI-M and three other parties said.
It said the people had registered “a strong protest against the steep hike in the price of petrol”.
It said that at the call of the Left and other opposition parties, there was a shutdown in Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Odisha.
In Tripura, at the call of the Left Front, there was a total strike. In Kerala, a march was organised to the Raj Bhawan in Thiruvananthapuram and protests in all assembly constituencies.
In West Bengal, the Left organised protest marches all over the state. In Tamil Nadu, a strike was observed in Tiruppur and Kanyakumari.
In Haryana, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh, there were demonstrations. In Delhi, it said, there was ‘rasta roko’ in various places, and the national leaders of Left parties courted arrest at Delhi Gate.
- BJD calls Odisha shutdown against petrol price hike - May 25, 2012
- Petrol price hike fuels protests, opposition ire (Roundup) - May 24, 2012
- Government stands by on petrol hike, allies protest (Roundup) - May 25, 2012
- Shutdown cripples life in Tripura - May 31, 2012
- Petrol price hike: Left calls for strike in Tripura - May 27, 2012
- Tripura demands roll back of oil price hike - May 24, 2012
- Fuel price hike 'savage attack' on people: Left - May 24, 2012
- Shutdown hits train traffic in Odisha - May 31, 2012
- NDA calls shutdown May 31 against petrol price hike - May 24, 2012
- Protest against petrol prices leaves India hobbled (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Tripura's Left government protests petrol price hike - Sep 16, 2011
- Shutdown cripples Andhra Pradesh - May 31, 2012
- Opposition slams government over petrol price hike - Sep 15, 2011
- Odisha protests over petrol price hike - May 24, 2012
- DMK to protest against petrol price hike - May 25, 2012
Tags: assembly constituencies, CPI, fuel price hike, kanyakumari, left parties, maharashtra, national leaders, opposition parties, petrol price hike, protest marches, protests, punjab, raj bhawan, roko, steep hike, tamil nadu, thiruvananthapuram, tiruppur, tripura, west bengal