Rod Blagojevich won’t testify at his trialJuly 22nd, 2010 - 7:33 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Chicago, July 22 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Rod Blagojevich’s defense lawyers brought their argument to a close in the former governor’s corruption trial without calling even a single witness including cross examining their own client.
Analysts believe that might be very risky for the former governor and it is believed the move will force the prosecution to change their strategy in approaching the case. Though the move saves Blagojevich from cross-examination that would have disclosed some embarrassing personal details of the former governor of Illinois.
But the juror might not be impressed with that. All through the trial until now, defense attorneys have promised that their client will tell his story about allegations about his spending and gross insubordination. In one of such allegations, Blagojevich is alleged to have spent a whooping $200,000 on suits while he was deep in debt.
Though analysts describes his defense attorneys move as risky, they think if those issues had been discussed in court, it would have been devastating to the former governor.
Blagojevich who is 53 years is facing trial after he was accused of planning to sell President Barack Obama’s former senate seat for other high favors. He is charged with his brother, Robert Blagojevich who is 54 years old.
He has pleaded not guilty to all the charges leveled against him.
Announcing his decision not to testify during his trial, Blagojevich told the trial judge, Judge James B. Zagel that it was his decision not to testify.
- Former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich Declines To Testify - Jul 22, 2010
- Indian-American offered to raise $1 mn for Senate seat - Jul 09, 2010
- Rod Blagojevich Convicted on One Count, Mistrial Called on 23 Others - Aug 18, 2010
- Former Illinois Governor Blagojevich found guilty of lying to FBI - Aug 18, 2010
- Former US governor sentenced to 14 years in prison - Dec 08, 2011
- Rod Blagojevich pleads not guilty - Feb 11, 2010
- Rod Blagojevich Refuses To Testify - Jul 22, 2010
- Judge to set the sentencing date for Rod Blagojevich soon - Aug 01, 2011
- Prosecutors Pledge Retrial As Rod Blagojevich Is Convicted Of 1 Of 24 Counts Against Him - Aug 18, 2010
- 'Rajat Gupta had a good tenure at Goldman' - Jun 08, 2012
- Rajaratnam made $63.8 mn through inside trading - Apr 07, 2011
- 'Rajaratnam relied on public information, not tips' - Apr 01, 2011
- Former Illinois Gov. Blagojevich sentenced to 14 years for corruption - Dec 08, 2011
- Woman excuses herself from jury duty for Oprah show - Apr 28, 2011
- Prosecutors worried over Blagojevich 'Celebrity Apprentice' stint - Oct 21, 2009
Tags: allegations, barack obama, brother robert, corruption trial, cross examination, defense attorneys, defense lawyers, governor blagojevich, governor of illinois, insubordination, judge james, juror, prosecution, rod blagojevich, senate seat, suits, trial judge, witness