Rod Blagojevich Convicted Only For Lying To The FBIAugust 18th, 2010 - 7:46 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Aug 18, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich has been convicted on only 1 of the 24 charges against him in what appeared to be one of the toughest court cases for the jury. Most reports indicate that the jury was hung at 11-1 on most of the counts against the former Governor. Considering the seriousness of the charges against him that includes auctioning a senate seat, bribery, extortion, and mail fraud, the single conviction of Rod Blagojevich was what one can call minuscule. The frustrated prosecutors have promised a retrial as even some of the jurors felt that justice was not served to the people of the state.
Rod Blagojevich appeared calm and composed as the verdict was being read out by the judge. He looked nervous before the jurors walked in and the jurors themselves had an appearance that made the complexity of the case evident. A week ago one of the jurors had revealed that they could come to a unanimous decision only on two of the counts. Several reports are doing the round that indicates that there was a split between the jury and conflicting statements have been made by the jurors to the media.
Co-defendant and brother of Rod Blagojevich, Robert Blagojevich said that the decision of the jurors indicated how Rod Blagojevich was an innocent target of the federal government. Unlike his flamboyant and showman politician brother, Robert Blagojevich was seen walking into court alone. Rod Blagojevich’s wife was seen trying hard to compose herself during the trial and started knitting just before the verdict was read out. Rod Blagojevich told the cheering crowds gathered outside the court that this was a persecution and he would fight against the single conviction on the charges of making false statements to the FBI.
- Rod Blagojevich Convicted on One Count, Mistrial Called on 23 Others - Aug 18, 2010
- Rod Blagojevich Found Guilty On 1 Out Of 24 Counts In Controversial Trial - Aug 18, 2010
- Former Illinois Governor Blagojevich found guilty of lying to FBI - Aug 18, 2010
- Rod Blagojevich Trial Shows Jury Dilemma - Aug 18, 2010
- Former Illinois governor guilty of lying - Aug 18, 2010
- Prosecutors Pledge Retrial As Rod Blagojevich Is Convicted Of 1 Of 24 Counts Against Him - Aug 18, 2010
- Woman excuses herself from jury duty for Oprah show - Apr 28, 2011
- Rod Blagojevich won't testify at his trial - Jul 22, 2010
- Former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich Declines To Testify - Jul 22, 2010
- Besieged Rod Blagojevich Declines To Discard A Comeback to Politics - Aug 23, 2010
- Former US governor sentenced to 14 years in prison - Dec 08, 2011
- Indian American fundraiser for jailed governor arrested - Jun 21, 2012
- Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich convicted on 1 count, plans to appeal - Aug 18, 2010
- Kirsten Dunst to return to witness stand for burglary retrial - May 22, 2010
- Rajat Gupta convicted on 4 counts - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: bribery, brother robert, court cases, defendant, extortion, false statements, governor rod blagojevich, illinois governor, jurors, kar, mail fraud, meena, persecution, retrial, rod blagojevich, senate seat, seriousness, showman, target, unanimous decision