Road safety brand ambassador: Not Big B, pleads CongressJune 4th, 2012 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 4 (IANS) The Mumbai unit of the Congress has voiced its disapproval of a Maharashtra government proposal to make megastar Amitabh Bachchan the brand ambassador of its ‘Awareness on Road Safety’ programme, a party leader said here Monday.
Party vice president and legislator Charan Singh Sapra has shot off a letter to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan opposing opposition to the proposal mooted by Minister of State for Home Satej Patil.
“As this traffic or road safety awareness is largely required among the younger generation, they are more enthused on inspired by younger icons,” Sapra said in his letter.
He has suggested icons like Sachin Tendulkar, Shah Rukh Khan, Akshay Kumar, Ajay Devgn, Salman Khan, Ranbir Kapoor, Aamir Khan among others who could be considered for the honour.
Moreover, Sapra pointed out that Bachchan was already the brand ambassador for the neighbouring Bharatiya Janata Party-ruled state of Gujarat.
“We are all aware that the masses as well as the courts have not yet absolved (Gujarat Chief Minister) Narendra Modi from the riots cases,” Sapra said.
Keeping in view the major point of attracting the youth to the Road Safety Awareness programme, Sapra requested Chavan to consider appointing a relatively younger youth icon for the initiative.
- Amitabh is nation's pride: BJP - Mar 25, 2010
- Mumbai Congress for ban on 'Shanghai' song - Jun 05, 2012
- Shah Rukh will help boost Bengal tourism - Mar 28, 2012
- Shah Rukh agrees to be West Bengal brand ambassador - Feb 14, 2012
- Congress practising untouchability with Bachchan: BJP (Lead) - Mar 28, 2010
- BJP slams Congress for targeting Amitabh Bachchan - Mar 28, 2010
- Will Dhoni adopt a tiger please! - May 03, 2011
- Gujarat, Rajasthan to jointly promote tourism - Apr 18, 2011
- Thackeray slams Pawar for criticising Congress - Jun 04, 2012
- Seal Link row: Thackeray blasts Congress 'immaturity' - Mar 27, 2010
- Chavan asked to explain Bachchan's presence at Mumbai Sea Link function - Mar 25, 2010
- Ranbir Kapoor -The New Brand Ambassador For Nissan - Jun 23, 2010
- Amitabh Bachchan to be brand ambassador for Gujarat - Feb 02, 2010
- Bachchan to lure tourists to more Gujarat sites - Aug 01, 2011
- Parineeti to endorse deodorant brand - Sep 18, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, akshay kumar, amitabh bachchan, chief minister, disapproval, government proposal, legislator, maharashtra government, minister of state, narendra modi, party leader, riots, road safety, safety awareness, salman khan, sapra, shah rukh khan, state of gujarat, younger generation, youth icon