RJD releases list of 25 candidates from Bihar (Lead, Changing Dateline)March 23rd, 2009 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 23 (IANS) The Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) Monday announced the names of 25 candidates from Bihar, with party chief Lalu Prasad contesting from two constituencies in the April-May parliamentary elections.
The RJD is contesting 28 out of Bihar’s 40 seats, leaving 12 seats for its ally Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) of Ram Vilas Paswan. Candidates for the remaining three seats - Madhepura, Patna Saheb and Maharajganj - would be announced later, the RJD chief said here.
Announcing the candidates, Lalu Prasad said he would contest two seats - Patliputra, a new constituency carved out of the Patna seat following delimitation, and Saran (known as Chapra prior to delimitation). The party has denied a ticket to sitting Patna MP Ram Kripal Yadav.
He had also contested two seats - Chapra and Madhepura - in the 2004 poll and won both, defeating Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader Sharad Yadav in Madhepura. The RJD chief retained Chapra and resigned from Madhepura.
The party has re-nominated all the eight ministers - Mohammad Taslimuddin from Kishanganj, Raghuvansh Prasad Singh from Vaishali, Akhilesh Prasad Singh from East Champaran, Jai Prakash Narayan Yadav from Banka, Kanti Singh from Karakat, Raghunath Jha from Valmikinagar and M.A.A. Fatmi from Darbhanga.
It has also paid attention to its traditional social support base of Muslims and Yadavs, fielding nine Yadav candidates and five Muslim candidates.
Other RJD leaders nominated include state legislator Shyam Rajak (Jamui), Jagdanand Singh (Buxar), Shakil Ahmad Khan (Aurangabad), Shakuni Chaudhary (Bhagalpur),and Surendra Yadav (Jahanabad). The party has also fielded JD-U rebels Lalan Paswan (Saharsa) and Rambadan Rai (Munger).
Hina Sahab, wife of jailed Siwan MP Mohammad Shahabuddin, will be the party candidate from the seat. Currently lodged in Siwan jail, Shahabuddin was convicted in seven criminal cases and sentenced to life imprisonment. He is not eligible to contest himself.
- Three RJD leaders quit, likely to join JD-U - Jul 16, 2012
- Bihar polls: Test of governance, rule of law in phase three - Oct 27, 2010
- Bihar polls: Voting under way for third phase (Second Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Jailed criminal from Nitish's camp wins - Nov 24, 2010
- JD-U denies ticket to Mandal junior - Sep 30, 2010
- NDA won't win in Bihar: Lalu Prasad - Sep 20, 2010
- Lalu as chief minister? Others call it daydreaming - Aug 17, 2010
- Bihar polls: Case filed against Lalu, Rabri for violating model code - Nov 01, 2010
- JD-U, BJP claim victory in Bihar, opposition struggles (Third Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Nitish battles for supremacy in Round one (Bihar Curtainraiser - Phase 1) - Oct 19, 2010
- Nitish Kumar's alliance heads for victory in Bihar (Second Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Bihar polls: Nitish, Modi, Lalu seeking votes for criminals - Oct 16, 2010
- Rabri Devi files nomination papers for upcoming Bihar Assembly polls - Oct 09, 2010
- 54 percent peaceful polling in Bihar first phase (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2010
- Fifth phase of Bihar Assembly polls begins amid tight security - Nov 09, 2010
Tags: ahmad khan, akhilesh, aurangabad, bhagalpur, champaran, darbhanga, delimitation, kanti, lalu prasad, life imprisonment, ljp, muslim candidates, parliamentary elections, prakash narayan, ram vilas paswan, saheb, shahabuddin, shakil, state legislator, vaishali