RJD, LJP will always remain with UPA: PaswanMay 8th, 2009 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 8 (IANS) The Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) was with the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) and would remain with it, union minister Ram Vilas Paswan said Friday while clarifying that he was staying away from the cabinet meeting in New Delhi because of a previous commitment here.
“I have not skipped the cabinet meeting. I am not able to attend as a previous meeting was fixed in Kolkata,” Paswan said, responding to speculation that he was skipping the cabinet meeting called by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh because he was miffed with Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi’s praise of Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
There are elections in Kolkata and Himachal Pradesh, the steel minister said.
“Morever, there was no agenda of my ministry (in the cabinet meeting),” he added.
“The Congress has already clarified what Rahulji wants to say. I am with the UPA. LJP, RJD (Rashtriya Janata Dal of Lalu Prasad) is with the UPA. And we will remain with UPA,” Paswan asserted.
The reality, he said, was that Nitish Kumar was with the Bharatiya Janata Party-Led National Democratic Alliance
Relations between the Congress and the RJD as well as the LJP have been strained to breaking point over seat sharing in Bihar. Rahul Gandhi’s comments about Nitish Kumar just added to the tensions.
- Lalu, Paswan skip cabinet meeting, stay with UPA (Second Lead) - May 09, 2009
- Lalu, Paswan skip cabinet meeting but stay within UPA (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- RJD, LJP insulted Congress: Moily - May 08, 2009
- Will wait, watch Nitish moves: Paswan - Jun 21, 2010
- Bihar poll-second phase: Caste arithmetic to play decisive role (Curtain Raiser) - Oct 23, 2010
- In Bihar, RJD leaders feel need for tie-up with Congress - Oct 22, 2010
- Paswan also to miss Cabinet meet, but says he and Lalu are with the UPA - May 08, 2009
- I won't join UPA: Paswan - Jul 07, 2010
- JD-U and BJP sweep Bihar, RJD and Congress humiliated (Fourth Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- RJD paves way for tie-up with Congress in Bihar - Oct 18, 2010
- Lalu, Paswan to skip cabinet meeting - May 08, 2009
- Congress, RJD trying to confuse voters. says Nitish Kumar - Sep 21, 2010
- Bihar polls: Test of governance, rule of law in phase three - Oct 27, 2010
- Nitish Kumar's alliance heads for victory in Bihar (Second Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Farm tenants' rights, caste issues on test in Bihar poll (Curtain Raiser, 4th round) - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: bharatiya janata party, breaking point, cabinet meeting, chief minister, general secretary, himachal pradesh, jd, ljp, lok, manmohan, manmohan singh, national democratic alliance, prasad, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, ram vilas paswan, union minister, vilas