RJD legislator surrenders in court, sent to jail (Lead)February 4th, 2011 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 4 (IANS) Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) legislator Surendra Prasad Yadav surrendered in a Gaya court Friday, the fifth day of a strike by junior doctors in the state after his security guards allegedly fired at interns at a medical college. He was sent to 14 days judicial custody.Yadav surrendered in the court of the chief judicial magistrate after his interim bail plea was rejected.
The government was under pressure to nab Yadav as hundreds of junior doctors of six medical colleges and hospitals across the state went on an indefinite strike demanding his arrest.
It is estimated that over three dozen patients admitted at the six hospitals died during the strike.
Trouble flared Sunday night when three interns of the Anugrah Narain Magadh Medical College Hospital (ANMCH) in Gaya, about 100 km from Patna, were injured when Yadav’s guards fired at them after a scuffle over a woman’s treatment.
Police arrested the two bodyguards. Police had issued an arrest warrant against the legislator Wednesday and raided his house.
–indo-Asian News Service
- RJD legislator surrenders in Bihar court - Feb 04, 2011
- Bihar junior doctors on strike, legislator's guards held (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Hundreds of Bihar junior doctors strike work - Jan 31, 2011
- Bihar's junior doctors end strike; legislator surrenders - Feb 04, 2011
- Doctors' strike continues in Bihar - Feb 01, 2011
- Bihar junior doctors' strike claims over two dozen lives - Feb 02, 2011
- Bihar doctors go on strike in protest against firing by MLA's bodyguards - Jan 31, 2011
- Encephalitis claims five more lives in Bihar, toll 230 - Jun 24, 2012
- Encephalitis claims 9 more lives in Bihar, toll now 159 - Jun 16, 2012
- Cold wave in Bihar ends encephalitis epidemic - Dec 27, 2011
- Encephalitis kills four more in Bihar, toll 204 - Jun 19, 2012
- Suspected brain disease kills 51 kids in Bihar - Oct 01, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills five children - Sep 20, 2011
- Two more kids die of encephalitis in Bihar, toll 85 - Nov 17, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 3 kids in Bihar, toll at 92 - Dec 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,