‘Risk of nuclear accident rises in Jaitapur’July 19th, 2012 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) A national alliance of political parties and groups warned Thursday that the location of six reactors at Jaitapur in Maharashtra “raises the risk of an accident substantially”.
The National Committee in Solidarity with Jaitapur Struggle, which met here Wednesday, said it was also not clear how the issues of spent fuel storage were being addressed.
“The committee noted that there is not one plant of this design that has yet been commissioned in the world, with plants in Okilkuoto and Flamanville running into serious problems, both in their construction and regulatory issues.
“The reactors being purchased from Areva company in France are of untested technology and are exorbitantly expensive.
“The cost per unit of electricity of such a plant will be 3-4 times that of equivalent coal-fired plants.”
The committee noted that the time bound conditions imposed on NPCIL in the Environmental Clearance granted to the project in November 2010 were already being flouted.
The meeting has decided to address a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh raising these concerns.
The meeting was attended by Prakash Karat of CPI-M, A.B. Bardhan and D. Raja of CPI, Ramvilas Paswan of LJP, Venugopal Reddy of TDP, Danish Ali of JD-S and Prabir Purkayastha of Delhi Science Forum and others.
- PM asked to cancel Jaitapur nuclear project - Aug 26, 2012
- CPI-M and more to battle Jaitapur nuclear project - Oct 23, 2011
- India to talk to France, US for nuclear reactors - Jan 11, 2012
- Prithviraj Chavan bats for Jaitapur nuclear project - Feb 26, 2011
- Halt Jaitapur nuclear project, says CPI-M - Mar 15, 2011
- Uddhav takes on Chavan for pro-Jaitapur remarks - Feb 27, 2011
- German bank pulls out of Jaitapur nuclear project: Greenpeace - Mar 15, 2011
- Jaitapur n-power plant cleared: Jairam Ramesh - Nov 28, 2010
- Jaitapur nuclear plant site safe, say scientists - Mar 14, 2011
- Government pushes for Jaitapur n-project with added safety, higher compensation (Roundup) - Apr 26, 2011
- France waits for India to clarify n-liability framework - Apr 05, 2012
- Foreign banks support Jaitapur n-plant: NPCIL - Mar 23, 2011
- Government pushes ahead with Jaitapur n-project - Apr 26, 2011
- Areva to import critical parts for first nuke units in India - Oct 15, 2010
- Seismicity study was done before selecting Jaitapur: NPCIL - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: areva, bardhan, coal fired plants, environmental clearance, fuel storage, maharashtra, manmohan, manmohan singh, national alliance, npcil, nuclear accident, paswan, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, reactors, regulatory issues, science forum, tdp, unit of electricity, untested technology