Rights groups ask NDA allies not to nominate VarunMarch 23rd, 2009 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 23 (IANS) Rights groups Monday wrote an open letter to the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) to ensure that Varun Gandhi does not get nominated as a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate after his alleged “hate speech”.
The Citizens for Justice and Peace (CJP) and SAHMAT (Safdar Hashmi Memorial Trust), in an open letter, said: “The various allies who constitute the NDA coalition and who believe in constitutional governance to not only condemn outright, the communal hate-ridden speeches of Varun Gandhi… but to ensure that the BJP does not nominate him as a candidate for the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections.”
The letter has been sent to Bihar Chief minister Nitish Kumar of the Janata Dal- United, Indian National Lok Dal’s Om Prakash Chautala, Rashtriya Lok Dal’s Ajit Singh and the Asom Gana Parishad.
“The allies of the NDA… need to make their position clear on Varun Gandhi’s speech and his possible prospective nomination as a Lok Sabha candidate from Pilibhit,” the letter said.
The letter also draws attention to “similar offences” by BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and organisations like the Vishwa Hindu Parishad and the Bajrang Dal.
CJP is a Mumbai-based citizen’s forum whose members include Alyque Padamsee, Javed Akhtar, Rahul Bose, and several other Bollywood celebrities and social workers devoted to rehabilitation of victims of mass crimes. SAHMAT is a Delhi-based trust supporting art and culture.
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA to finalise vice presidential nominee Monday - Jul 15, 2012
- Varun Gandhi gets apex court notice for poll speeches - Dec 02, 2011
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Race for Raisina Hill on, Pranab, Sangma file nominations (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- India to elect new president Thursday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Presidential poll: Pranab, Sangma to file papers Thursday - Jun 27, 2012
- Jaswant files nomination for vice presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Divided BJP discusses option of backing Sangma - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP, JD-U to meet on presidential candidate - May 02, 2012
- BJP to field its own vice president candidate - Jul 09, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Presidential poll divides left, right, centre - Jul 10, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma, allies differ (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: ajit singh, bharatiya janata party, bollywood celebrities, chautala, chief minister, cjp, hate speech, javed akhtar, justice and peace, lok sabha elections, manohar joshi, memorial trust, narendra modi, national democratic alliance, nda allies, om prakash, rahul bose, safdar hashmi, varun gandhi, vishwa hindu parishad