Right to recall unworkable in India: CECOctober 16th, 2011 - 8:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 16 (IANS) Chief Election Commissioner S.Y. Quraishi Sunday said the right to reject or the right to recall non-performing members of parliament may not work in a large country like India.
The observation follows Prime Minister Manmohan Singh writing to Anna Hazare that the government will take up electoral reforms.
“Our main fear is that if we start rejecting all the candidates, we will have another election and people already complain of election fatigue,” Quraishi told CNN-IBN news channel.
Opposing the proposal for the right to recall, as in many developed countries, Quraishi said it will “destabilise” the country, especially in areas where “people already feel alienated”.
On the idea of introducing a clause on the right to reject, Quraishi said even though the EC has supported introduction of a rule 49-O button in EVMs for voters to express their displeasure over candidates, the proposal will lead to more frequent elections.
Rule 49-O of The Conduct of Elections Rules describes the procedure to be followed when a valid voter decides not to cast his vote, and chooses to record this fact.
Anna Hazare has said if all candidates spending crores in elections are rejected by the voters, it will discourage them from overspending and would control election expenditure.
Quraishi said he will meet Hazare this month on the issue.
- Advani not in favour of right to recall MPs - Oct 21, 2011
- Team Anna to meet poll panel chief on right to recall - Oct 18, 2011
- Poll panel for voters' right to reject candidates - Nov 01, 2011
- Right to recall may lead to political instability: Pranab - Nov 20, 2011
- Team Anna trains guns on MPs, wants work audit (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- Poll panel favours right to reject candidates - Dec 06, 2011
- Congress against, BJP for right to recall - Aug 29, 2011
- State funding of elections is no good, says Quraishi - Aug 30, 2011
- Hazare's 'right to recall' idea impractical: Experts - Sep 18, 2011
- Delhi youth ask for right to not vote - Apr 15, 2012
- Voters in Gorakhpur seek 'right to reject' - Feb 11, 2012
- Hazare, team end fast; promise people's movement as political alternative (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Thackeray blasts Team Anna - Nov 07, 2011
- A tale of drinks and drugs as Punjab votes - Jan 29, 2012
- Electoral reforms key to good governance: EC chief - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: anna hazare, cec, chief election commissioner, cnn, cnn ibn, cnn ibn news, cnn ibn news channel, crores, developed countries, displeasure, election fatigue, electoral reforms, evms, manmohan, manmohan singh, members of parliament, overspending, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, quraishi