Rick Perry has a hard time on the GOP debateSeptember 13th, 2011 - 8:11 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Sept 13 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Texas governor and GOP presidential aspirant Rick Perry is still ahead of CNN’s recent polls despite having a disappointing debate. During last night’s heated GOP televised debate, all the other candidates seemed to have set their sights on Perry.
Being the frontrunner ahead of the debate, the other candidates knew their work was cut out for them. The Texas governor clearly incurred the displeasure of the audience when he spoke about his controversial HPV vaccine which involved girls as young as 12 years.
Opponents of Perry accused him of trying to use his office to force people to have the vaccine, accusing him of taking their liberties away from them. HPV is a vaccine that is used to prevent cervical cancer. Perry admitted the fault on his part for trying to use his legislative powers to force young girls to have the vaccine.
Minnesota congresswoman Michele Bachmann who is fast losing pace with the frontrunners of the GOP race wouldn’t let the issue lie flat. She accused Perry of complexity when she claimed that the manufacturers of the HPV vaccine, Merck, were sponsors of Perry’s campaign.
When Perry registered his protest, Bachmann shot back, saying “I’m offended for all the parents and little girls who didn’t have a choice. That’s what I’m offended about.”
- Republican presidential candidates spar over everything - Sep 08, 2011
- Michele Bachmann to meet Donald Trump again - Nov 21, 2011
- Michele Bachmann's son turns down Playgirl offer - Apr 21, 2011
- Rick Perry gets the backing of Dean Cannon - Aug 25, 2011
- Ron Paul attacks Romney, Bachmann and Perry - Aug 17, 2011
- Bobby Jindal endorses Rick Perry for president - Sep 13, 2011
- Gary Johnson's joke creates a buzz - Sep 23, 2011
- Participants threaten to pull out of Univision's debate - Oct 06, 2011
- How virus triggers cervical and mouth cancer - Dec 15, 2010
- Vaccination can prevent cervical cancer deaths: Experts - Aug 07, 2012
- Former Minnesota Gov. Pawlenty drops out of presidential race - Aug 15, 2011
- HPV vaccine also works for boys: Study - Feb 05, 2011
- GOP candidate to debate in Sioux City Iowa - Dec 16, 2011
- Only one-third of young US girls receive HPV vaccine for cervical cancer - Jun 02, 2010
- Jason Alexander responds to Mitt Romney's Seinfeld comment - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: cervical cancer, cnn, congresswoman michele bachmann, displeasure, frontrunner, frontrunners, gop, gop debate, gop race, hard time, hpv vaccine, legislative powers, liberties, little girls, merck, michele bachmann, presidential aspirant, rick perry, texas governor, young girls